Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield & a 1st timer
Had a trip planned to take a first timer out on Friday and originally wanted to hit Starvation, but with the recent decline in conditions there I decided we would try Scofield.Thursday night I decided to pull up the BFT reports one more time and saw the report from TopH20 with all the chub and figured I had made a mistake. Too late to back out.

Got the first line in the water at about 8 and it wasn't 30 seconds and had bites. I started to get the other poles baited up and before I could get a worm on the first one the first timer had his first on the ice. I thought it would be a chub, but gladly I was wrong. It ended up being a great trout day. At first we tried to keep track of how many of what we were catching, but we lost track. Ended up landing 50+ trout, only 1 tiger and only 2 chub for the entire day. Fish ranged from 12"-16", the tiger may have been a little longer but didn't put a tape to it. Only thing that could have been better for the day would have been fish with more size, other than that it was a perfect day for a first timer.
Fished in 8 1/2 feet of water and seemed to have the best luck on 1 1/2" - 2" glow. Caught them tipped with meal, crawlers and chub. There were several times we put the lines back in the water without tipping just so we could get to another pole that was getting a bite and ended up catching fish just with the jig.
[signature]
Sounds like a good day.

That place sure has been hit and miss this year. Glad it worked out for you.
Glad you had a good time and caught some fish. When I fished last week I intentionally used some very small jigs and tiny pieces of nightcrawler so I could target the chubs and get some to use as bait. You can eliminate the chubs normally just by using jigs and baits that are a little larger making it difficult for the chubs to get their mouths on your hook. You'll get a lot of hits and miss the strike because it's a chub trying to eat your presentation. It makes for cheap thrills.

Mike
[signature]
Well done! You chose wisely grasshopper.[sly]
[signature]