Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about pontoons
Hey everyone... I spend most of my free time fishing small streams. This year, I'm hoping to do more on the bigger rivers. I'm looking to get a pontoon, and I'm wondering if there are any packable pontoons that are sturdy enough for the larger rivers as well. Sorry if I missed a thread about this, but I didn't see any regarding this question. Either way, are there any particular pontoons y'all would recommend?
[signature]
Www.northforkoutdoors.com

Escape renegade or outlaw predator. Both class Iii capable, both very pack able, the predator more than the escape
[signature]
When you say "Packable" are you meaning to carry on your back or something ? Or just easily stored and transported .....

As Koch mentioned NFO has some great Frameless Toons IMHO some of the best toons on the market.
I got the NFO Rampage it folds up and fits in a duffel bag but if I'm not mistake total weight of the toon is 40+lbs

Only downside is there not cheap your going to pay a premium for NFO toons. Well worth it but considering all things if you do a search for framless pontoons they all cost $$$$$

Unless you want to go float tube style like the Fishcat 4 were you sit above the water like a toon but its a U-boat styled float tube. I had one for several years loved it. Id throw it over my shoulder and carry it were ever i needed. I think the whole thing with gear weighed like 20lbs.

A less expensive alternative is a Framed toon, your probably some familiar with these. These are the one you see all over KSL great boats, But the frame kinda limits how you transport it from home to the lake.

The frames can be dissembled POA to reassemble especially lake side. So allot of people transport their toons fully assembled but depending on your vehicle some frames wont fit into a car or SUV. If you have a truck then a Framed tooned may be a better way to go or always the option of towing a small flat bed trailer.

Ive seen guys strap fully assembled toons to the roof racks of the vehicles I myself am not comfortable with driving 65 with a toon ontop of my SUV. Ive heard too many horror stories of roof racks and luggage flying off of people vehicles.

Just FYI there's a gal selling 2 NFO's toons on KSL Renegade and Rampage for 700 & 750.
[signature]
I have a like new Predator 8' long, aluminum oars ( oars in picture not included) and weighs 14 lbs. Asking $800.

[Image: IMG_0573_zps47c3c0de.jpg]
[signature]
"I got the NFO Rampage it folds up and fits in a duffel bag but if I'm not mistake total weight of the toon is 40+lbs"

Sinergy,
Is this the $1500 model (Cabela's price)? Can a electric motor be used on your model? If yes, is this easy to install? Durability?

Thanks.
[signature]
Yep you can put trolling motor on it but does require a mount from NFO they run about 150 bucks.
[signature]
Same motor mount you use on all the frameless models, even the Rampage. The Renegade is just a 9' model and the Rampage 10'6" and Renegade is 28 lbs the Rampage is 38 lbs. The Predator is an 8' version made out of Heart Valve and Kevlar, and half the weight of the Renegade.
They have all been taken down white water, but by people that know how. Not me however, [laugh]. But i know the boat can make it[Wink]
[signature]
Thank you.
[signature]
[quote sinergy]Yep you can put trolling motor on it but does require a mount from NFO they run about 150 bucks.[/quote]

The prop needs to be turned around.[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the advice guys and gals. Fly goddess, that's a great deal, but I need to save up a little bit. If someone else doesn't snatch it up I'll be in touch soon.
[signature]
flygoddess,
Have you floated the Green River in your pontoon?
[signature]
I have never float the Green from anything, but I know any of these will be fine.
[signature]
Browntrout: Any of those NFO toons will float the Green just fine, all sections and every rapid if you have a little rowing experience in faster water and small waves. You gotta pay attention in the rapids, but its not hard and you don't need to be an expert. I've floated the Green in both a Renegade(9') and my current Assault (8'), at flows from 900 to 4500, all sections. Most of the time I don't even get wet! They're the cats meow. I've had framed models too, including some cheaper boats, and they work too, but they're heavier and don't have the design comforts that the NFOs have, IMO.
[signature]
We've floated the Green 6 times in Assault XX. Wife sits up high enough to steer me clear of boulders just under the water. You have to pay attention to what's coming up - and sometimes row like hell - but it's a blast!

Fishing ain't bad either.
[signature]
flygoddess, is this one of the two you showed on your blog? i was browsing after I just ordered one from NFO!!! Timing is everything. Anyway, are the stock oars ok for moving water, and on still you just nibble a little? Did you ever pick up a duffle for storage or transport, if so,
where and what size?
Good luck with the sale. Just4Grins.
[signature]
On my first page, the X5 is at the top, the Assault at the bottom. Which model did you order?
Zach had two friends float the Green with stock oars. There is no reason they won't work. I went to the custom oars because I wanted longer. They worked out great on the Renegade. Since I sold the Renegade they are too long for the narrower Assault ...oh well. Maybe the Fuzion.
I got a rolling duffle from NFO a few years back. The handle broke so I called the bag manufacture. They sent me a brand new bag. I also bought some large Duffels in Yellowstone. The Sportsmens Show here usually has a booth that sells big duffels.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. I ordered the Outlaw Predator. I'm selling my 13' McKenzie Drifter and a customized Aluma trailer. Needed something light and good for one. Kinda going from a Destroyer to a Life Boat.
[signature]
Then Aluminum oars are just fine.
[signature]
I saw your ad over on one of the CO boards, I wanted your trailer [cool]
[signature]
[quote just4grins] Anyway, are the stock oars ok for moving water, and on still you just nibble a little? [/quote]

I've floated a lot of the Green in the Assault and Renegade with stock oars. They work fine.
[signature]