Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bay Area Recommendations
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hi Fellow anglers![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey, I could use some help figuring out some fishing plans during the Holidays. With the rockfish closure what are the hot options in the SF Bay Area right now? I know they have several charters chasing sturgeon and stripers but are there any other options? I won't be hauling the boat so I'm stuck using charters. Any recommendations? I'm willing to do a little traveling and will be coming out of the East Bay. Thanks for any tips![/size][/font]
[signature]

Hey there BearLakeMack,

I'm sending you a PM.

JapanRon
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks, JapanRon. I can see there aren't many Bay Area Fisherman frequenting the board. Appreciate the tip. I'll post a Bay Area report here after I go. Thanks again.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey there BLM, How ya doing. Just like you said there aren't alot of Bay Area Fishermen on this board yet. There may be some lurking about but none have checked in.

Most of the Bay Dudes are in SoCal that are current members. You might want to PM the Sturgeon Kid. He is up in that area now and may have some recommendations.

Let me know when you can get down to SoCal. I have a few places to get some nice Stripers from. I just don't do alot of boat fishing but I have a few buddies over here with boats. I just help them out with gas, bait, beer or whatever it is that they need.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks, tubeN2 but if I get to SoCal to fish it's long rangin' we will go! Love chasin' the chickens and bluefin. Heck, Yelowtail could keep me happy for day and dodos and....[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I love SoCal fishing! Just wish I lived closer to take advantage of it. I need to dust off the tuna sticks and get down that way.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I went up there over Thanksgiving and it was the same deal, no one was running, nothing to catch and just plain boring, but if you hung a dollar out the window on a hook and line you may catch something as Joe and I along with Chris discovered at Seal Beach pier a while ago. Think of what it could be....[Wink]

Aaron G
[signature]
Hey Bro, If your sticks are dusty, don't worry about it. We can wash them off in the beautiful coastal waters. There is always plenty of action on the salty dawgs. Plenty of chickens, blues, yellows, good schools of bones and macks. Even the bait barges stay stalked with macks, chovies, squids, fresh and frozen.

We'll get ya hooked up and get your lines plenty wet. We can even get JR as our Salty Guide Master. I'm sure that the Tubin boys could recommend us a boat as well. I'm already looking forward to the trip.

What time will you be here??? I have some neat stuff from TD as well. We could try them out there.
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hey, Bro, this is a website I drop in on once in awhile when I want to see how things are in my old stomping (fishing) grounds.[/size]

[url "http://usafishing.com/GGreport.html"]http://usafishing.com/GGreport.html[/url]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks, TD! I've seen that one several times but was hoping for a little more indepth info, if, of course, that's possible. I'm checking out a sixpack right now for a day on the bay![/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][size 2]I'm sure you have fished that area enough to anticipate what you will find. My own recollections are that this time of year is not the best for WFO action on any of the glamor species. But, I can recall some relaxing days spent on anchor, soaking bullheads or ghost shrimp for the occasional striper or sturgeon. [/size]

[size 2]I also recall some "dinosaur" trips, deep water baiting for the big prehistoric sharks in the channels. Those 7 gills and soupfins can get big and rowdy.[/size]

[size 2]If you don't mind scaling down the tackle a bit, and going for some good eating, there are usually some nice flounder on the flats in the north part of the bay. I've had a lot of fun with those guys...mostly when the tide is moving. And, every once in awhile a stray schoolie striper will liven things up a bit.[/size]

[size 2]Will you be the only one in your family on the six pack, or are you chartering the whole boat? Those things can be both good and bad. All depends on who they put on the boat with ya. Of course the skipper and deckies can make a lot of difference too.[/size]

[size 2]If you hadn't already planned to, I might suggest you introduce some of those "mackrunners" to the snob fish of Frisco. I'm betting that with a little sweetener they would get a vote or two.[/size]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Most of the charters are going with the Sturgeon and Striper in the bay. There are a few doing the crab combo thing but the combo now are sand dabs since the rockfish closure. I alway used to like hitting a rockcod trip or two to the Farollons on my Xmas trip home. Nothing like eating those rockfish and fresh crab. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I remember as a boy, launching my grandfather's 14' Gregor thru the breakers in a sheltered cove, I think it was called Luffingwell?, just south of San Simeon and going out to the kelpbeds and just slaying the rockfish. Lings, capazon, snapper, kelp bass, sculpin. We caught it all and some pretty good sized fish. We would go home and feast on these fish. We also would go out on the mud flats on low tide in Morro Bay and dig clams. My grandmother, who's 96 now, would make the best clam chowder! Good times. Anyway, I just carrying on.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If sturgeon are the quarry, I'm going to try and put a fire under my brother's butt and get him to take us out. He used to be a pretty fair hand at catching those beasts.[/size][/font]
[signature]