Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powder bath device for painting jigs
I don't know how many on here pour and paint their own jigs, let alone use the powder paint to do it, but it always annoys me to keep shaking the jar to keep the powder loose and fluffy. A buddy of mine figured out the answer. He made a liquid powder bath that he made for pretty cheap. From the bottom up it consists of a 7x7" board for a platform. A 3" long 2" PVC with an end cap to mount it to the board. You drill a hole in the side that you then put an adjustable valve into and super glue it in place. This then attaches to a 3 piece 2" PVC coupler. Make sure it's the 3 piece so it comes apart to put a piece of paper in as the platform for the powder paint. If you want you can cut some 2" sections of 2" PVC to sit in the top portion of the coupler. Less washing in between colors this way. If you do this then the coupler needs to be sanded out to make it a little bigger so the pvc pieces don't get stuck in it. The only other thing needed is a small aquarium aerator pump and some air tubing to attach to the valve placed in the 3" section of PVC. make sure the valve is closed all the way when you turn the pump on so you can carefully open the valve and not blow powder paint all over the place. I've included pics of the various pieces from their it should be easy to put it together. As for the paper mentioned above it's a filter of sorts. I found printer paper works great. Just cut some circles the size of the coupler, and place one in the middle on top of the o-ring, set the top on and then screw on the collar. Fill the top about 1/4-1/3 full with powder paint and turn it on. the powder will start to look like it's boiling and will constantly sift and stay loose.
[signature]
I don't do jigs, but that is an awesome piece of garage engineering. Great solution to your problem.
[signature]