Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod and reel is out of balance
My wife and I moved to Eastern Connecticut last month and I had a Ugly Stik that I had broken the second large guide on at the end of last season. I took it in today to get it repaired. I also discovered that my brand new baitcast reel I bought last year has a big chunk of foam missing from the grip. It still has the manufacturer's protective wrap on it. I will never use that moving company again, EVER!!! Two window air conditioners were ruined also. Anyway, I found an old 6 1/2 foot Ugly Stick, light action and a Shakespear Spinning Reel that I had forgotten I had. I just finished taking the reel apart, cleaning and lubing it thoroughly. The only problem is it is it is way out of balance. When I rest the front grip on one finger, the tip drops to the ground. How should I bring it back into balance? I was thinking of adding weight to the butt but I don't know how to do it. Any ideas greatly appreciated!
[signature]

thats what you will need to do is add some weight to the butt. if you can remove the butt cap without doing damage to it thats the best way. if you damage the cap you can buy one from a few rod building sites around. I can give it a try if you would like me too. I have done just about everything possible to fishing rods.
[signature]
I got it, I measured the butt at 1 inch diameter. I bought furniture leg caps that are 1 inch. Perfect tight fit. Inserted quarters in cap until rod was balanced, then superglued the cap onto the rod. It feels very nice in my hand now.
[signature]

cool, glad you got it. when a fishing rod is heavy at the tip it makes the whole rod feel heavy and by adding weight to the butt makes the rod feel alot lighter.
[signature]