Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mono vs fluoro tippets/leaders
What are your thoughts? Fluoro is ridiculously priced is it really worth it? I guess I don't fly fish enough to have a educated decision but I can say w a spinning or trolling rod fluoro is a waste of money in my opinion.
would a fluoro tipped on a mono leader make sense or does that eliminate the purpose?
[signature]
There are several threads on this. The bottom line is: opinions are divided. (What a surprise, eh?)

Fluoro tippet material is supposedly measured and inspected a lot more rigorously than plain old line - at least according to tippet sellers. Hence the "hard swallow" pricing. As we only use a yard or so at a time, that makes it acceptable to many.

Fluoro sinks, so some folks don't like it for dry flies. Others say mono casts a shadow because it floats and therefore they do like fluoro for dries. Take your pick. I think it makes good sense for nymphing, which is what I do 90% of the time.
[signature]
you just gotta try them out and you'll find what you like, i personally found that Flouro is good but can gink up and stretch out if your catching alot of larger fish, that being said i might have had a bad brand.
I use mono mostly and never have had any issues.
Certain brands are better than others as well so just try a few out and you'll find what you like.[cool]
[signature]
One of the main selling points to flouro is that it has a zero refractive index in water. In theory at least, that should make it less visible to invisible when used as tippet when nymphing. You can also get away with using a thicker tippet (4x vs say 6x) and still not spook the fish, yet have more strength for battling fish or working free snags. FWIW, Sportsmans Warehouse sells small spools of flouro tippet for pretty cheap prices and that is what I use. Can't complain about performance and I've gone through a couple of spools since I got back into flyfishing more.

If you are using gear, try the P-line flouro coated line. Less expensive than straight flouro by a wide margain, handles better than straight flouro, and casts a country mile. I love that stuff for my non bassin spinning reels.
[signature]
Cool thanks for all the responses. I am familiar with fluoro w a spinning rod just not much experience w it using a fly on rivers.
Dogegone are you buying the spools at sportsmans as a new spool or are you buying it off there bulk spools? I will give it a try.
[signature]
I only fly fish and have my whole life. The advantages to Fluoro is "size" . In the X factor or lb it will be a smaller diameter than mono of equal X or lb. Meaning using smaller lb line can be stronger.
It does sink but I use it exclusively on all flies including drys. Advantage there is the tippet will go sub surface so no shadow or light hitting it, but I can still float #32 dry flies using it. I also can use 6X on that #32.

I do buy fishing line Fluoro over tippet on the 4X or 4lb and heavier. Saves a lot of money although still pricy. I buy P-Line 1-00% fluorocarbon in 4 lb, 6 lb, & 8 lb and I use it most the time specially when guiding. It is $20. but also 250 yards. Last quite a while.

Note, Fluorocarbon does not deteriorate, and does not have a shelf life. Good on one hand but the other is to be sure to pick it up and not leave it as trash

I have used both regular P-Line mono, and then switched to the Fluorocarbon. I did witness I did not spook the fish at all with the fluoro.
But I did catch fish with both, just more with the fluoro.
[signature]
I use Umpqua SuperFloro 4x for all my nymphing needs.
I like the way it knots and the strength of the tippet.
I also use SuperFloro for dries.
[signature]
"I" think it makes a difference, do you?
[signature]
"I" think it makes a difference, do you?

Yes, I am in agreement.
[signature]
I think it makes a difference.

The two things I like about floro is its greater strength per diameter and that it doesn't go bad in a year like mono.

I have been stung in the past on expensive mono tippit material and tapered leaders that were on the shelf too long. You would think that "new" meant full strength...not with mono it doesn't.
[signature]
Screw mono or flouro leaders. Order a couple furled leaders from flygoddess. Get them with a tippet ring. Buy regular mono tippet, add up to 6' if you want for finicky trout. Treat with a floatant for dries. If taken care of, one should last well over a year. I haven't used a mono, braided, flouro, poly leader in years.
[signature]
True, I do use furled leaders, but I use Fluoro tippet[Smile]
[signature]
I like fluorocarbon as well. I'm really lazy though so I just use fluorocarbon leader and skip tippet 90% of the time. It works for me as I don't typically change or lose flies very often. A single fluoro leader usually is good for at least a couple hundred fish before I replace it. I can always still use a shorten leader with flouro tippet tied on if I want. I don't really think spending a couple pennies per fish extra this way as a significant part of my fishing expenses overall. Maybe an extra $20-30 a season. Now if you're still learning and losing a lot of flies in the trees or just have to change flies constantly while out the expense may be a lot higher.
As mentioned fluoro doesn't degrade so don't leave any behind if possible. With only using leader the rare break offs when a snag won't come lose is always at the knot so nothing is left in the environment unlike if the tippet to leader knot breaks off.
[signature]
Here is what I use. These are right off the display shelf. As I recall, one of these cost $4-5 and one spool lasted me the fall and winter of fishing, going about weekly. (Yes, I get a few snags and switch flies often.)

I can't say if more expensive flouro tippet works better, but this has worked well for me.
[signature]
For Tippet, I use that too. Pretty reasonable. Stillwater, I use the P-line. But i also use 30' of it. I pre make deep nymphing leaders, and by leaders I mean straight fluoro. I use the Orvis Dropper Box and have 20', 25', & 30'. Works for me. Oh and the spool of P-line I use is going on 4 years now. But, I have been known to change flies. Can't all be a catching machine. Guess my arm isn't as limber as some. Glad I wear waders though.[Wink]
[signature]
For deep vertical jigging with gear, I use the 6lb test of p line pure fluoro for leaders. My spool is similarly old and is still going strong. P-line makes some good products. When it is used for leaders or tippet, the spools last forever as well, so even the cost doesn't become much when averaged over several years and as several have noted, the line doesn't break down on you.
[signature]
I played with flourocarbon leaders and tippet some last year. I really like the floro for stillwaters and nymphing. I dont use a tappered leader though, i bought some of the "vanish" line in 4 and 6 lbs and use just level leaders for nymphing and lake fishing. I didnt like the tapered floro leaders and tipoet for dry flies, i lost some of the floatability and mending ability over mono. I went back to mono tapered leaders. Occasionaly I will use floro tippets but I use mono for most drry fly fishing.

Mark
[signature]
I wonder if you had used some other brand than Vanish if you might like it better. Vanish is the worst there is. Seaguar or P-Line Fluoro is the best.
I agree that a taper leader is not needed on Stillwater when fishing sub surface. But for dries, a tapered leader (mono, fluoro, furled) is a must. Taper is designed for presentation.
Good rule of thumb, when you buy a leader, attach at least a foot of tippet. You could mix. Mono leader and fluoro tippet (I can't see the opposite being of any benefit)
By attaching tippet, by the time you hit the knot, you know to attach more tippet. This prolongs the life of the leader and full access to it's taper.
That is why many are switching to a furled leader. It has a ring on the end you attach tippet to. As little or as much as you like and any kind of material.
Furled leaders have no memory and you can cast JUST the leader, which just means it is aiding in your presentation. Very important at time for delicate dries.
[signature]
Flouro leaders are the way to go I think we had a similar conversation on here a little while back but after that initial conversation I did some of my own unscientific research I cant speak on the catch rate its all subjective I mean it takes allot more than your leader to catch a fish so... but I did find myself using less tippet. If anybody knows me knows I like to bottom bounce or nymph and in doing so snags happen. Seems like the fluoro held up better then nylon It seemed I wasn't tying on a new fly quite as often but again I'm no scientist.

For still water I use a Nylon leader with Flouro tippet back when I thought Nylon was the best thing since sliced bread I purchased Umqua spools in bulk so instead wasting it I use a 7 to 9 feet of 10lbs nylon leader then tie in 2 to 3 feet of 3x or 4x fluoro tippet

For rivers I use FG's furled leader with 2 feet of 5x or 6x flouro seem to work well

I can say you can save some cash buying the the regular fishing line spools of P-line 100% flouro or segular red label. The 4lbs spools have a diameter of .006 in which case 5x tippet has the diameter of .005 so a difference .001... and i dont think .001 makes a difference.
[signature]
I do use a tapered mono leader for dry fly fishing. I have just gone to level line flourocarbon on my nymping and stillwater set ups. I will have to play with some different brands of flourocarbon. I have had good luck with the vanish for nymphing and streamers. I do use umpqua florocarbon tippet on my level leader setups.

Mark
[signature]