Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report
Tampa Bay Area <br>Fishing Report<br>Captain Charles Walker<br><br>2/24/02<br>This week’s report is a little slim, but remembers, the winds were up in the first part of the week and then it rained for the last two days. I know when I was younger and more gung-ho I would go out in the rain, but I’ve learned to respect the lightning that usually goes along with it so I don’t go fishing in the rain anymore. Most of the fishing this week has been typical for the winter on the inshore side. Lots of sheepshead all day along with some trout and reds, and then whiting and trout for those that want to fish at night. As for offshore, things are still strange for the most part. The grouper that should be in shallow waters are not biting at all. There are plenty of grunts and mangrove snapper to keep everyone busy catching fish for the table though. Those that can get 30 plus miles offshore have been getting grouper, amberjack, and blackfin tuna as a reward for their long boat ride.<br><br>On to the bait house reports:<br>Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325 – With all the rain of the last few days mostly fresh water fish have been caught. The winds early in the week kept most of the anglers off the water in the Bay. Sheepshead are still biting well around any rock pile or piling. Some big snook have been caught up the river near the I-75 Bridge.<br>Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – Sheepshead are biting around the bridge and all the rock piles. A few reds have been caught this week. Trout and snook have been caught on the flats around the islands and the bridges. <br>Bonnie’s Bait and Tackle in Clearwater - 727-446-2772- A few snook have shown up around the creek mouths and the edge of the flats. The weather this week has kept just about everybody at home.<br>Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Sheepshead are really biting at the foot of the bridge. One customer caught some pompano in the same area using Doc’s Goofy Jigs this morning. Some reds were coming from the Fourth Street Bridge and a few mangrove snapper have been caught in the channel.<br>Dogfish Tackle on Redington Beach - 727-392-6644- Flounder have been biting at night on the pier this week. In the backwaters behind the store, just about everything has been biting on live shrimp.<br>Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- The grouper seem to have moved out deeper than 70 feet. There have been few boats out this week because of the winds and rain most of the week. Inside, a lot off snook and reds have been caught around Bay Pines. Sheepshead are still been caught on every piling in the Bay.<br>Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- A lot of sheepshead have been coming from our gas dock this week. Our offshore boats have been getting blackfin tuna and amberjack on the long range trips and mangrove snapper with the occasional grouper on the trips closer in.<br>The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Silver trout, whiting, sheepshead, and grouper have come in today. The rain for the past couple of days have slowed down the angling quite a bit but with the sun coming back today things should heat up on the pier pretty quick.<br><br>Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.<br><br>If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .<br><br>Good fishing and tight lines,<br>Capt. Charlie<br>http://www.flfish.com/fl<br><br><br><br>Capt. Charlie Walker<br>http://www.flfish.com