Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dipsy divers!
Anybody ever used the dipsy divers what were your thoughts? I just got a boat and looking for something to get me down without downriggers! Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again
[signature]
They work really good when its just me in my boat. I use them alot up to the Gorge when I cant steer the boat and use down-riggers at the same time. Just find the right speed when using them. I usually put about six feet of leader behind them. I had to adjust the tension release on mine though, just bent the tabs out a little so it released better when I got a bite.
[signature]
I haven't used the Luhr Jensen Dipsy Diver, but I have used the Luhr Jensen Jet Divers. The nice thing about the Jet Diver, is they make them to dive to certain depths. So you can get individual divers that will dive to 10 feet or down to 50 feet, in increments of 10 feet.

I tried the Jet Diver, but then went to lead line. A diver puts a certain amount of pressure on your pole. Lots of guys like them. They are most commonly used for back trolling for salmon to get the lure or bait to the bottom of deep holes in a river.

I'll probably give them another chance at some point. One thing to keep in mind is the diver will tend to take the "fight" out of the fish since they put a lot of drag on the line.

The Dipsy Diver looks like a nice diver, since it includes a trip for easy retrieval.

I'd like to hear what you experience is though when you try them out.

On BassPro there are quite a few reviews. I am sure there are all sorts of videos on youtube on how to use divers and fine tune them.

Good luck and have fun with your boat this summer.
[signature]
Thanks I will try them and give them a review they seem like they will work pretty well I think I'll buy a couple and give them a go
[signature]
Thank you that's what I was thinking the gorge then put them right threw the Kokanee when they are down 20 30 ft if water!
[signature]
Your post got my curiosity up, so I did some searching on the web. Like you, I don't want to invest in expensive down riggers at this time.

A company called Walker Downriggers makes a diver with a trip release called a TripZ Diver, that looks just like a Jet Diver, but has a trip on it when a fish strikes or you want to retrieve your rig. Cabelas carries them. Or just do a search on the web for TripZ Diver.

I also found this website.. http://www.dwfonline.com/articles/jet_diver_release.htm
He rigged his Jet Diver with an Off-Shore trip. Looks like a nice setup.
[signature]
Thanks!!!! I greatly appreciate that! I'll take a look at those right now
[signature]
I think downriggers are the way to go
I have seen them on Ebay for less then $100
and you could use the Shuttle Hawk so you don't need to keep bringing the ball up.
[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4DoOpcp8uw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4DoOpcp8uw[/url]

are a leaded line.
The more weight you have on your line it takes the fun out of catching fish.
[signature]
If your fishing the Gorge I would keep my eye on ksl.com. I've bought every used down rigger I have from there or off of the classifieds here. You can find them for $50.00's frequently. It is way easier than dealing with dipsy divers. I do use dips divers occasionally when I have more people on the boat then I have downriggers space for. I can't seem to run stackers on a down rigger without experiencing a disastrous tangle.
[signature]
picked up some trolling combos from cabelas with the intention of getting some down riggers - what type of line do you guys recommend using with them>?? thanks
[signature]