Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba, scofield, starvation+ report
Went camping with the girlfriend. Little did she know i chose to go to the places with big fish. Had one mission, catch fish on my new fly rod. Luckily for her (and probably me) it was windy the whole time.Yuba- Very windy first night, no fishing. Beach was trashed! Thanks Yuba SP! Next morning started at painted rock. My girlfriend caught the first fish, a pike around 24" on a clacknrap and a 14" walleye while trolling not too long after.
[inline "P1010404 (2) (170x450).jpg"][inline "P1010405 (2) (154x450).jpg"]
Both released. I had been fly fishing this whole time with a green and white rattle streamer with steal leader tippit. Not one bite or follow. Switched over to 50lb mono and a much bigger, flashy, expensive fly and hooked a 26.5" pike on the last or 2nd to last cast. (The gf was giving me that look with the arms crossed) Managed to land it after a few misses by my netter, wrappin up on the anchor line, and running under the boat. I took a 100 pics and tried my best to get the measurement for the contest but it wasn't easy and ended up keeping it.
[inline "P1010410 (2) (450x177).jpg"]
I have more pics if needed.. Camped at gooseberry res. a trib. of scofield. Creek was closed but I hooked into endless tiny mutant rainbows til the wind decided the fun was over. Scofield- Very windy. Madison bay stayed somewhat calm so we fished there. We trolled pop gear w/wedding rings. First fish a fat chub. Took off the WRs and switched to J-9+1 1 rapalas with chub meat. Landed close to 10 cutts from 12-16". Wind kicked us off and we headed to starvation. Starvation- My opinion, best SP in Utah and good fishing on top of that. Wind never stopped til around 10am the next day. Launched the boat and trolled with bottom bouncers and pop gear. Hooked a 20" walleye first thing on a worm harness, released w/out a pic. The leads to the battery for my fish finder got crossed on the way to Yuba so I was fishing blind and had trouble locating fish. Right as we were going to leave a big rainbow hooked on at 12' on a green worm harness and pb. It shot 6' off the water before I knew it was on. nice 20" rainbow that almost looked like a bear lake cutt.
[inline "P1010489 (2) (450x204).jpg"]
Another not too long after did the same thing and threw the hook. Got back to the ramp and tried fishing the dock for bass. Saw some huge bass cruisin the bottom along with some smaller ones. Didnt land any. Headed out of the way to the last spot for big tiger trout. Saw plenty of 20"+ followers and hooked one but got off. Maybe next time.
Awesome thanks for the report!
[signature]