Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reel Recommendations
Hello All,
This is a freshwater question but I think some of you are shore bound bait hurlers. I've had (but not used)the same gear for 20 years or so and now I'm thinking about upgrading. I am shore bound on Lake Mead in Nevada. What I am looking for is recommendations on a reasonably priced spinning real. One that will hold heavy line and aid in casting a good distance. There are a lot of reels I have researched but looking at a picture and reading a description does nothing for me. One Ball Bearing, four BB's, five BB's, and up to 10 BB's. I have learned that the more BB's the more digits before the decimal point on the price. So I figured I would pose this question to those who have field-tested some gear. Any input would be appreciated. Take care,
David
[signature]
the more ball bearings there are, the smoother the reel.
the penn spinfishers are nice reels. what pound line are you using??? heavier line? 20? 30?

the 9500SS deserves a look

joe
[signature]

Hey there Nu2,

Glad to see another post. Time do fly, especially with we look a fishing tackle advances.

I assume you're talking spinning gear. If you're shore bound because of an infirmity, so be it. If not, have you thought of using a step-into type float (U-boat) tube?

Your choice of gear then might change. Ok Shore bound it is. Adding to what DH said,
1) 6 ball bearings mean about the best smoothness,
2) 6:1 gear ratio is pretty common for all types of retrive situations,
3) Advanced drag materials add to smoothing of line going out when hooked up,
4) Lastly the diameter of the spool and the length of the spool will have a lot to do with distance.
(Long spool reels also have a special winding pattern that will aid in distance.) Spool can be either plastic, graphite, or aluminum for the fish you're catching.

I prefer the drag adjustment to be at the rear but they're aren't many models to choose from. Also, don't spend a million buck on one!

JapanRon
[signature]
there are two types of fishing boatless that I am aware of for salty water. if there are more I would like to hear about them.

first is pear fishing in which you will want to stick to stainless steel construction reels because of the salt problems.

the other is called surf fishing, they use rods called balleyhoo rods, ( if I remember correctly) they have 3 foot handles that stick in to the sand as aposed to using rod holders.
[signature]

Hey there Nu2,

I heard Lake Mead, where you're fishing, has a striper population too!

If you have access to the big boy stripers, you might want to gear up for these freshwater/brackish water/saltwater land-locked brutes.

Send us a pic it you get 'em!

JapanRon
[signature]
Thanks for the replies,
I'll check into those reels. Currently I am about 2 years away from getting my Pontoon (Bennington 2275FSi). Until then, I'm shore bound but I am picking up a little boat, one I can throw in the back of my truck.

Yeah JapanRon, there are some huge Stripers in Lake Mead, but you'll have to be pretty lucky to pick one up from shore.
As soon as I catch one (or any for that matter )I'll post'em.
[signature]