Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New guy with a "new" Toon
Well I am glad to have found this place. Lots of great Ideas. I don't have pictures right now but I will get some up today of my new ride. I have been searching for something to fish the Fox river (1 block from my house) and I was looking at Toons and Kayaks. I finally found my Outcast Fish Cat Wave Quad on Ebay. It was an item that was returned and then sold through a wholesaler. Only thing wrong was it was missing an Oar Lock. With the $20 off coupon Ebay gave everyone for releasing their personal information I ended up only paying $91.59 for it.

So far I have placed a set of rod holders I made out of some 1-1/4" PVC I had laying around. Other than that I haven't done anything because I haven't gotten it out on the water yet. I plan to fish a slackwater area (old Lock project that got abandoned so there is very little current in this 1.25 mile stretch of water) that is right near my house on Saturday.

My main question is how do you guys go about mounting your anchor pulleys? I have some small lakes near by that I would like to fish but I will want/need an anchor.
[signature]
Going to have to see the boat first to help on anchor.
Easiest would be to add a couple small pulleys. One up buy your knee then one under the seat area.
[Image: IMG_1027.jpg]
[signature]
Here's some links with info and pics of this boat, in case it helps.

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1qjwz/O...ces/13.htm

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/4487876377.html
[signature]
Page 6

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/imag...20Inst.pdf
[signature]
It's actually this boat. Similar frame but no motor mount or pulley.
[signature]
I know, Cloth seat, cloth rear deck sort of. But the frame is the points of interest. Where you don't have the motor mount out the back you might have to drop the anchor from under the seat with the pulleys I have in my picture.
[signature]
You are going to want to replace that seat. my old creek co boat had one and after 12 hours in it I was able to file for disability [Wink]. I hated that seat and got a padded seat for it. My son had to change his too. Those cloth seats were designed to cripple.
Ron
[signature]
Yeah what's involved in a seat upgrade?
[signature]
On the ones we did you take the old seat off and there is a couple of bars under it. The seat has four boat holes with bolts. The bolts go up through the bars and into the seat and then you slide to the spot you want to sit and tighten them. The padded seats are about 50 dollars. Ron
[signature]
Ron, check his picture out. The seat is not connected like most. It looks like it has four legs on the outside of seat.
Not sure if he can change seats...or at least the one in the picture.
[signature]
One other thing...

This pontoon has a steel frame, which means it's prone to rust. Water can enter the frame where parts come together or mounting holes are drilled. Normally the frame stays out of the water, but it can get wet from waves or sudden balance changes. Make sure you get all the water out of the frame and allow it to dry thoroughly after each outing. The last thing you want is the frame to break on you when you're on the water.
[signature]
It was hard to see if it had double rails or not. You might be right that one might not be replaceable. Ron
[signature]
[quote StacyR]One other thing...

This pontoon has a steel frame, which means it's prone to rust. Water can enter the frame where parts come together or mounting holes are drilled. Normally the frame stays out of the water, but it can get wet from waves or sudden balance changes. Make sure you get all the water out of the frame and allow it to dry thoroughly after each outing. The last thing you want is the frame to break on you when you're on the water.[/quote]

Great thing about what you posted is EVERYONE should be doing this even with Aluminum frames. Not just for rust but Invasive Species.
[signature]
It has two rails that come up and form a upside down U shape on each end and then two cross rails in the middle to support the seat. I assume that even if these are two far apart I could attach a plate with U bolts and then bolt the seat to the plate.

Either way I am still young and don't plan on going out for more than a few hours at a time for now so I will just rock the seat it has and see if I am actually going to keep this or try and trade it off for a Yak.
[signature]
Ya you might not be able to switch that one. I have no reason to ever use a yak. I have seen guys fish from them and I say no thank you! Ron
[signature]
To be honest, that SEAT doesn't look that bad. I know I have never tried that one.
Why not try it first.
Again for Anchor. Try putting one pulley at the foot bar and some how mount one under the seat. This means the anchor will be directly below you.
The frame is very thin so be careful as to what you do to modify it.
There are also strap on Scotty Anchor systems.
Try the boat for several outings then fix what you can.
[signature]
Trust me, if you haven't rowed a mile in those shoes you don't want to. The edge on the seat is thicker and stronger. The center material will sag and give over time on a long day. You end up with a strip of cloth, the edge that is higher that will chew on you. As you kick that edge will cut into and wear into your muscle on the back of your thigh. the more you kick the worse it will be. the more the center will stretch and a little splashing will help it become a seat of doom. I have done the time and it was cruel and unusual punishment. Then there is the back rest. [Sad]
Ron
[signature]
Ron, I have been rowing for many years in all different boats. I rowed 5+ miles per day this last weekend sitting on one of the cloth seats as on my frameless placed on a box.
I truly appreciate your experience with your Creek Company and you sharing that info,
But in all fairness not all are cloth seats are created equal. This is an Outcast. It is definitely different from any others I have seen. It looks very close to a Kayak seat and they are quite comfortable.
At any rate, this is something you or I will never experience, but this Gentleman will. So I say try it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is, then worry about it.
[signature]
I'll be heading out in the water in about an hour. I don't have fins yet but I can see what you are talking about but I don't know of if it will be a problem til I do.

I'll report back this afternoon
[signature]
And THIS is a time when WD40 really can be used for fishing. The true name Water Displacement. Sparing a coating of it can help prevent rust. That's what it was designed for. The lubricating and fish attracting benefits came later (fish attracting is a debatable joke).

Joni makes a good point on drying your gear though. It's not just that Rust Never Sleeps. Neither to the Veligers.