Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tarpon, Swordfish, or Sailfish, Take Your Choice, The Fishing Is Good
The most frequently asked question that I have had lately is "Are the tarpon in yet?" After this evening's trip, I can definitely say the answer is YES.

With the wind blowing E @ 20-24 mph, I decided to go to Government Cut. The live well had a good supply of large shrimp and all the rods were rigged and ready. Our first six drifts gave us no action. On the seventh drift, I
marked some fish and it didn't take long before we were hooked to an 80# tarpon. After releasing the fish, we set up again, marked some fish, got a strike, and missed the hook up. For the next three drifts, we marked fish and had strikes shortly there after. By the end of the evening, we were 2 for 5. Even after several jumps and lots of pulling, them tarpon sure know how to throw a hook. That's what makes tarpon fishing so challenging.

The winter tarpon season has kicked into gear and runs from now till late June. Now is the time to schedule your trip to do battle with the mighty Silver King. If you're looking for a fish that pulls hard, never seems to want to give up, puts on a great aerial show, and will test your angling skills and physical stamina, then the tarpon is exactly what you're looking for. Give me a call to book a date and lets go have some fun pulling on a tarpon.

Tuesday night (12/23/03) we headed offshore in the big boat to do some swordfishing. Bill Borkan from Eastern Shores was looking for his first swordfish. He has caught all the other billfish except for the sword and he had high hopes that this would be the night when he would complete the list.

With 5 baits out, we began the wait. Several boats reported good action with fish to over 200#'s. Many other boats reported they were still waiting. The tinker mackerel showed up and 4 baits were added to the live
well. We made a move back south and put out the spread again including one of the mackerel. At about 9:15 pm, the tip rod that was down about 80' with a squid took off and we were hooked up. It was mostly give for about the first 10 minutes. Bill kept steady pressure and soon the fish give in to it. My mate, Joe McGivern, put the flying gaff in the fish and in through the door it came. There was lots of hand shakes, back slapping, Smiles, and it seemed like Bill's feet were above the deck for several minutes. We had no more strikes that night, but we got the fish that we needed and the ride home seemed like a very short one.

Wednesday afternoon (12/24/03) we left the dock, once again on the big boat, earlier so we could fish the reef area prior to heading out for swords. The 3 remaining tinker mackerel from last night were swimming happily in the live well. We slow trolled 2 bluerunners and 1 mackerel. In 175' just north of Haulover Inlet, a large kingfish skyrocketed the mackerel and missed the stringer hook. Another mackerel and this time an unknown fish
grabbed it and missed all three hooks we had in the bait. The final mackerel was saved for swordfishing. About ten minutes after it got dark, the middle jug with the mackerel on it, went under and popped back up. Bill
started reeling and felt nothing. Mean while, the jug on our deepest bait went crazy. Then we saw our LP light go streaking across the surface. The middle jug was the bait that got hit, but the line broke. As the fish swam past our deep bait, it caused that jug to go down. Shortly after setting out the baits again, we developed engine trouble. We decided to call it a night and limped back home.

Friday (12/26/03) half day trip in the morning. Fernando Ramos, his cousin Nelson Garcia, and co-worker Luis Palma all from Miami wanted to catch their first sailfish. We bought pilchards and goggle eyes at Haulover Inlet and
headed out. Half way through the first drift, the wind switched from NNW to NNE. After resetting, a friend who was fishing off the Sea Buoy gave me a call and said he had just released a sailfish. We ran south to just north
of the buoy and put out our spread (pilchards on the flat lines and downrigger, and goggle eyes on the kite) of baits. In 102', a small dolphin tried eating our short kite bait and only succeeded in killing it. Shortly
thereafter another dolphin ate the long bait and it was kept for dinner.

Back out to 200' and reset all the baits. The action began at 119' toward the north end of the anchorage area. A sailfish ate the long kite bait and gave it back to us on its third jump. At 115', another sail ate our short bait and this time Fernando was hooked solid to his first sailfish. Nelson was busy being the official photographer while Luis was giving moral support and moving rods out of the way as Fernando made several trips around the boat. The 6 1/2 foot sail posed for boat side pictures and was released as everyone was celebrating.

The last drift of the morning started in 130'. In 94', another sailfish attacked the long kite bait and it was Luis' turn to feel the fight of a sailfish. It took about 4 laps around the boat before the sail gave in to the pressure. We got another good close up look at a sail at boat side and released it.

The half day trip end way to soon for everyone. On the way back to Spinnaker Marina, the battles were fought again and visions of dolphin fillets for dinner were discussed by 3 happy anglers.

Captain Dave Kostyo
Knot Nancy Fishing Charters
305 620-5896 Charter
305 732-2628 Beeper
www.knotnancy.com
nkostyo@bellsouth.net
[signature]
I fished at Bahia Honda in the Keys and hooked many tarpon. Me and My friend landed two each, 4 to 5 FT. We caught then on Live ballyhoo that were schooling that night. This Action was good considering that tarpon ussually dont hit on the bridges till spring. Thanx for the report on govnt. cut. I'll prolly go over there tommorow night. Danny
[signature]