Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jumping sizes on a leader/tippet
Curious on peoples opinions...

Lets say you are running a 5x knotless tapered Leader but want to jump down to a 3x tippet for some smaller stuff.

Can/do you simply tie on some 3x to the end of the 5x section or do you throw a small section of 4x on and then your 3x?
[signature]
3X is larger than 5X, but yes, I will down size tippet to make a tapered leader and better presentation on dries.
Start with the number 9, then subtract the X number for a general idea of lb.
Generally, I will step down one X size,but I have gine 2 X sizes. I use a Triple Surgeons knot or a Blood Knot.
But I prefer Furled leaders where I am able to attach one foot to six feet of 3x, 4X, 5X, or 6X tippet and still get fantastic presentation without tapering the tippet.

When starting out, buy a 4X leader, then attach a foot or so of 4X tippet. When you get to this knot, tie on more. Then tie 5 or 6 Xon for smaller flies if you need too.

If nymphing or streamers, I don't worry as much about tapered leader.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]3X is larger than 5X...[/quote]

Oops that is what I get when I am posting quickly before I rush off to a meeting. You got my point though.

This came up when I was playing with a tippet ring and had to jump down a size and was curious about just putting a 6X on with the 4X leader on the other side.
[signature]
Gotcha. I do 4X to 6x.
[signature]
In short yes.
I use a tippet ring after my 9' 4x tippet gets down to the thicker section. Then I tie on what length I need/want of 5 6 or even 7X.
[signature]
Great thanks for the replies.

That is the answer I was hoping for.
[signature]
Ya for sure! I start off tying 5x to my leaders and just add tippet as necessary... I use fluero 99% so in my experience it doesn't really make a difference. What you should do is buy some of Joni's furled leaders then it doesn't matter what size you tie on!
[signature]
generally speaking you can jump two sizes in tipet. so 4x to 6x or 3x to 5x this should work fine.
[signature]