Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogden/ S. fork
I've spent the last little while trying to hone in on my streamer skills. I've still only caught a handful or so but it's getting better. A small black and olive sculpin pattern is what I've been using while standing directly downstream of a hole and stripping it back towards myself.

I ended up landing a few up the south fork with the biggest just over 20 in. Then, I caught a couple more on the Ogden through the canyon with the biggest just under 20ish (2nd picture). It was far bigger than anything else I've caught on the Ogden which was a nice surprise.

I tried fishing the weber again.. and got nothing again.. when will it get better?
Also, I was able to take a little trip up to some private waters in search of fatty rainbows.. and definitely found them. Not much of a challenge catching those stocked bows but you can't go catch the biggest trout of your life and not take pictures right?
[signature]
Thanks for the great report.

I would say your streamer skills are just fine if you can land fish like that. I haven't fished the South Fork for several years but I have never caught any that were close to that big. What kind of camera do you use? The first picture of the brown is fantastic.
By the looks of your last picture, you need to get a bigger net.[Wink]
[signature]
I agree, the first picture is top notch.
Those bows are thick! Would love to see them in a little less enhancement however. Cool effect, but I like the natural look.
[signature]
I tend to overdo it, but the natural pictures just don't do it justice you know?
[signature]
[quote ddmoogs]I tend to overdo it, but the natural pictures just don't do it justice you know?[/quote]

Kind of like steroids [laugh]
[signature]
Great shot of the brown![cool]
[signature]
I knew I should have listened to you about the South Fork! That brown is a beauty and nice job on the pic. +1 on the streamers. I have put myself on a strict streamer diet this fall in hopes that the fish have done the same and I can become more proficient. I hooked up on a decent cutty (nothing like your trophies) quartering downstream against a shaded bank and swinging it back out and downstream with some action. I have also had a little luck dead drifting from the shallow into a deep pool and then stripping it through the hole. Like it got washed into the "lions den" and is trying to get away. That accounts for the three fish that I have landed on streamers thus far so take it for what it's worth. It's a very different way to fish than I am used to on a fly rod. Congrats man, those are some KILLER fish. Planted or otherwise.

LECH
[signature]
That first photo is contest quality. You should consider taking it down from here so you can submit it to a contest as "unpublished".
[signature]
I'm glad you all like that photo, my phone sure takes a good pic sometimes.
[signature]
Is there a link somewhere showing how to inline photos? I've tried before and couldn't get it to work. I was wanting to post more reports and photos of my recent trips but it's quite annoying having to click on each individual link to view a picture.
[signature]
That would be THE BEST! That is why I immediately look at reports by the Twins. Like looking at a magazine.
I personally use Photobucket. Then I just copy the img and paste it in the post. Plus I can do it on any computer.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]That would be THE BEST! That is why I immediately look at reports by the Twins. Like looking at a magazine.
I personally use Photobucket. Then I just copy the img and paste it in the post. Plus I can do it on any computer.[/quote]
I sent him a PM and asked if he wanted assistance with inline pics. I have a step by step tutorial that I send out to anyone who needs help with photobucket's inline process.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, looks like I can inline now. I've done quite a bit of fishing lately and I'm going to add a little report of some recent trips to test it out.

[inline IMG_20140930_213504-1.jpg]
The ogden has been my go-to spot lately. It's been producing some quality fish as well as great scenery. Although i've been throwing a lot of streamers lately, I've had the most success nymphing sows and san juans.

The last 5 or so trips to the Weber have only landed me a couple of quality fish. I would stay away until this moss pit clears up. [inline IMG_20140930_205956.jpg]

A nice little cutt
[inline IMG_20140930_222438-1-1.jpg]

Took a trip up to cache valley mainly fishing some of the smaller streams. Those blacksmith trout were sure loving themselves some hoppers.[inline IMG_20140930_210455-1.jpg]

[inline IMG_20140930_212614-1.jpg]

[inline IMG_20140930_221511-1.jpg] left hand fork has quickly become a favorite of mine.

[inline IMG_20140930_222631-1.jpg]
I was able to pick up quite a few of these guys with chironomids up at causey.

[inline IMG_20140930_210132.jpg]
The south fork has been providing some steady action but these nicer browns have been few and far between.

My last trip up to island park left me feeling slightly disappointed. Spent three days fishing with not a whole lot to show for it.
[inline IMG_20140930_222051-1.jpg]
Box canyon yielded me this nice 7 incher

And also a sore finger. Needless to say, it's been barbless only from then on.
[inline IMG_20140930_222223.jpg]

I spent an evening fishing last chance with my grandpa, and neither of us got a thing. I asked another gentlemen if he was having any luck but he said he was in the same boat as us. Fish were rising, they just weren't taking anything we were offering.

I walked down from our cabin to the reservoir and threw some chironomids from the shore. Landed a couple whitefish and a decent rainbow in the half hour I was there.

My last stop of the trip was in coffeepot. The scenery was amazing. [inline "2014-09-30 22.30.29.jpg"]

Had myself a 50 fish day! They'd slurp your dry as soon as it touched down.

Unfortunately they looked like this. [inline IMG_20140930_221620.jpg]

Last but not least, I took my first trip to the uintas. Spent most of the time driving around just looking at different lakes. Had a nice weekend camping trip, caught a few fish and ate some campfire brookies.

[inline IMG_20140915_192905.jpg]Echo

[inline IMG_20140930_214609-1.jpg]Pyramid
[signature]
WOW! Thanks.
[signature]
Wow, awesome photos and report! I live in Ogden and kind of neglect the close by waters far too often[:/]
[signature]