Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flourocarbon question
I was shopping for new tipett recently and got to wondering if anyone knows the difference between the
P-line flourocarbon and the rio flouroflex plus flourocarbon of the same diameter. If there is no real difference, you can sure get a lot more for your money buying the P-line than the tipetts packaged for flyfishers in the small spools. Specifically, I was looking to get some 1x flouroflex which runs approx $15 for 30 yds. Conversely, the 10 or 12 pound P-line is $21 for 250 yds. I use this tipett for streamers and for lake fishing so decided to take the risk and bought the P-line. But I am curious to hear if any of you know the difference or have considered the same question.
[signature]
I read a lab review of various lines a while back, and they claimed that "tippet" material is inspected much more rigorously, especially for consistency of diameter and breaking strength. The added cost is due to those extra inspections and level of quality.

Whether that matters much is something I can't address. If you're an elite fly fisherman going to Mongolia for a personal best or world record, maybe. For a guy who flings flies to planted trout in Utah, maybe not. I'm a lot closer to the latter than the former.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]I'm a lot closer to the latter than the former.[/quote]

Amen! Me too. I frequently use the larger rolls of commercial fluorocarbon for tippet material (P-Line, Trilene 100%, Berkley Vanish, etc.). It works fine for me.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]I especially for consistency of diameter and [#FF0000]braking[/#FF0000] strength. [/quote]

[#0000FF]Drum or disc?[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I wish I had caught that, Pat. I seem to be typing worse and worse lately since I quit writing professionally. Practice makes prefects...
[signature]
gonfishin, I have been using P-Line for many years.
For the "X" you are talking about, definitely go with P-Line.
I use 4 lb, 6lb, and 8lb.
BUT, or the smaller X like 5X and smaller I definitely go with the spool tippet (Mirage in my case, but I am an Orvis dork[Wink])
The tippet is smaller diameter in the smaller sizes but retains the strength. Plus more supple in my opinion.
[signature]
[#0000ff]Chuckle, chuckle. Not often I get served up an opportunity to needle a skilled wordologist such as yourself.

And I appreciate your forbearance at calling attention to my gaffes and abuse of our overly complicated language.

I'm sure you also share my tendency to cringe at the frequent misuse of other words on this forum...like the damn dam, to tooty two, their there, alluding to elude, etc.

But we're all here to have fun and share fishin' fables so what the heck? What's the harm in a slip up in spelling, grammar or grampa?
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I totally agree with the use of good quality spooled tippet materials in the finer diameters. When fishing clear water using small patterns, the suppleness and lower visibility make a huge difference in hook up rates. I've had many days where anything larger than 6X produced little to no action. Drop down one size with the same patterns and bingo, Fish On!

I find this to be more the case when nymphing, but small dries can also be presented better using these thinner lines as well giving a much more natural drift.

A littler harder to land fish at times, especially in fast water, but if you don't hook em you can't land them either. The Provo is one prime example where smaller, thinner, and limper are almost always better in clear water conditions. IMO it's worth the extra money to buy the best you can afford when it comes to these lines.
[signature]
Where's the harm in spelling errors? Only the difference between a rental and a rectal.
[signature]
I'ma leave this right here.

[url "http://swiftflyfishing.com/blogs/news/15472069-cutting-through-the-bullshit-the-mono-vs-fluro-debate"]http://swiftflyfishing.com/blogs/news/15472069-cutting-through-the-bullshit-the-mono-vs-fluro-debate[/url]
[signature]
The one thing not mentioned is shelf life. Mono that is a year or so old is not as strong as floro. Mono nylon needs to be changed out yearly. Floro has a much longer shelf life, almost considered indefinite.

I have had the misfortune to buy an older spool of nylon off of a store shelf. They don't have a date on them, but they should. Its breaking strength was very inconsistent.

I still use both floro and mono tippets. Each have their place and uses.
[signature]
So those spools of tippet material and tapered leaders I've had and used since the mid-1960s are not as strong as they once were? Who knew...

(Not kidding, either. I have unopened packets of tapered leaders with price tags of 79ยข)
[signature]
[quote DrewT]I'ma leave this right here.

[url "http://swiftflyfishing.com/blogs/news/15472069-cutting-through-the-bullshit-the-mono-vs-fluro-debate"]http://swiftflyfishing.com/...mono-vs-fluro-debate[/url][/quote]

And I guess it all depends on which author you decide to read. While I appreciate Swift and his glass rods, I totally disagree with his definition of necessary difference through my own experience.
[url "http://www.deneki.com/2014/01/monofilament-or-fluorocarbon/"]http://www.deneki.com/...ent-or-fluorocarbon/[/url]
[signature]
Mr. Cheech,

You are exactly right. However, I look at it from a little different perspective: In any given year, I leave a bit of tippet in multiple states in multiple rivers and streams - we all do. I actually appreciate the fact that mono breaks down as it helps me justify (yep - justify or rationalize if you prefer) the fact that I am impacting the environment in a somewhat negative way. No soapbox, just my personal justification.

Also, I like what TroutHunter does with their tippet and packages them in a UV protective bag to help slow down degradation - of course now you have extra waste in the form of a bag.

As for the article, I posted it more as a thought provoker on what we are marketed to as fly fishers. Don't call the new Winston Micro Spey a switch rod.

Anyway, I still use flouro on occasion but it is becoming significantly less and I can say anecdotally that I don't see a significant difference between that and mono - even when there are two of us fishing out of a boat together and one is using mono while the other flouro. Of course, everyone's own results can vary.
[signature]
[quote DrewT] Of course, everyone's own results can vary.[/quote]

Absolutely
I agree that the waste need be treated accordingly.
My tests using the heavier line has been without a shadow of a doubt, the Flouro exceeded.
I fished awhile back with 3 guides. Two of us used fluoro, the other two did not. We were more successful two days in a row.
Hype? Maybe, but confidence is the major portion of fishing in my eyes, and I have all sorts of confidence when using fluoro.
Do I catch fish with mono? Yes I have. I prefer fluoro.
[signature]
I think you hit the nail on the head: confidence.

That plays a huge role in our success. A few weeks back a friend and I were anchored up on a riffle full of fish rising to PMDs. We actually hit this riffle after a gentleman had just finished it. He said as he was pulling anchor: "there are some really good fish feeding if you can figure them out". We proceeded to spend the next 90 minutes crushing them. My friend w/ flouro and a no-hackle, me with mono and a film critic. We took turns, each getting at least an eat and then switching off. It was sixes between the both of us. Was either better? No. Were we each confident in our rig? Yes.

We floated and threw streamers last weekend: him with 20lb maxima, me with 15lb P-Line flouro, each with the same success.

I think that when you are confident in your setup, its a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy - not that that is bad. I seem to be more focused and on point when I'm confident the rig I'm using is going to work.

As long as you are getting out and doing it, that's the important part.
[signature]
I'm going to say my experience 100% matches the Deneki article points. And quite honestly I don't leave fluorocarbon leader behind when I leave. I don't fish more than 1 fly and the very rare break offs I have are always at the knot to the fly. The other article was written by a Kiwi. NZ trout are a totally exotic species. Having little in the way of natural predators in streams their behavior is markedly different from trout in the native range of trout. I wouldn't generalize his observations of fish (he's mainly talking about trout) to fishing outside the southern hemisphere.
[signature]
Sorry. It looks like I hijacked your thread a bit - I didn't mean to. To your original question, particularly with streamers, I would say no, it doesn't make a difference. I would recommend that if you aren't, you should try using a loop knot to connect your streamers so they move a bit more freely and are not hindered in their movement.
[signature]
No worries, it is all interesting conversation! Thanks for the tip on the knot, I do use it [Wink]. Thanks!
[signature]
fish focus on the fly, not the tippet.
[signature]