Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosquito Lagoon Report
Capt. Rob Blake’s fishing report from Florida’s Mosquito Lagoon and Upper Indian River-updated February 27, 2002.<br><br>Over the past week, we have been fishing one weather extreme to the other. Driving rain with 30-mph winds, sunny skies and slick calm water. It’s all part of what we must live with in the subtropical climate of Florida. <br><br>Last Saturday, Scott Jacobsen and his brother-in-law John Brazelton decided to brave the elements and go out to get John’s first Mosquito Lagoon redfish on fly. John works for Redington Fly Rods and is certainly no stranger to redfishing, but the playing field was very limited due to the 30-mph winds from the north. Despite the adversity, we got on some tailing fish and by 7:30 John hooked his first Mosquito Lagoon redfish on fly. Since our goal had been met, and the wind seemed to be getting stronger, we decided to get outta Dodge and make our way back to the ramp. The driving rain made things interesting, but we made it back safe and soaked!<br><br>Monday I had the pleasure of taking Ron Krell and his wife Donna out on the first day of a two-day trip. The four-hour drive from Tallahassee was well worth it for both anglers. A persistent north breeze didn’t discourage us, and the day was off to a banner beginning when Ron’s first cast yielded an instant hook-up. As the morning progressed, Donna and Ron were able to pick off several reds that were loosely schooled in a foot of water. Although we didn’t see the first tailing fish that day, 11 reds and a handful of trout were brought boatside.<br><br>Tuesday, the weather was picture perfect…one of those days you dream about. Bright sunny skies, light to zero wind, and plenty of fish on the flats. By 9am, Ron and Donna had 9 reds to ten pounds in the boat. By 11:30, we had 20 reds in the boat and a couple of trout. At 2:30 the redfish total was 35. The day ended with Donna sightcasting a beautiful 5-pound spotted seatrout in a foot of water. Catching these numbers of fish certainly doesn’t happen every day, but we’ll take it when we get them! Good casting Donna!<br><br>Water levels in Mosquito Lagoon are still up from 2 weeks ago. After the approaching front we should again have some spectacular fishing. The shuttle launch is scheduled for 6:48am tomorrow. The weather calls for 32-degree temps at launch time…and the last update said the weather has a 40% chance of causing a delay in the launch. Bundle up!<br><br>I’m still looking for some photos to be emailed to me from some of my January and February clients. If you think about it, get them to me so I can post them on my 2002 Season Photos Page…thanks!<br><br>Capt. Rob Blake<br>www.redfishonfly.com<br>1-866-RED-DRUM Toll Free<br>1-321-633-0923 local<br>1-321-544-5041 cell<br><br><br><br><br><br>Contact Capt. Rob at 1-866-RED-DRUM <br>or 321-633-0923 or 321-544-5041 (cell).