Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friendly request.
Hey friends. It's been a long time since I posted. I've been busy with getting married, starting a new job, and moving...so basically changing my entire life around. Anyways I moved down to the Salt Lake area and since the move I've only been out fishing a few times, all on the middle provo below jordanell. I had a co-worker take me out there and it's all I've really done since moving to SLC area. It's not a bad fishery it is just super crowded. Being originally from Idaho I'm not use to the crowds and the weird culture up on the Provo river. Is there anyone willing to PM me and give me some guidance on where I can go to get away from the crowds? I'm not asking for your secret fishing holes I'm just new to the area and would like some advice on where I can go fishing that is less populated. I'm willing to work and put in a hike if needs be, I actually prefer hiking into a spot. Maybe this is just wishful thinking and there is no way to get away from crowds in this part of the state, especially on the Provo. It doesn't have to be on the Provo, it could be on the weber, or anywhere not too far away. I'm just seeking for some friendly advice from anyone willing to share. Thanks friends.
[signature]
Man, I haven't fished the middle in so long, all I hear is how crowded it is and all the DB's on the river.

Still some spots on the Weeb that are uncrowded, sounds like some small stream action is in your future!
[signature]
I don't run into many crowds on the Weber. I've gone to Diamond Fork and had the river pretty much to myself a couple times this summer too. Still, the Lower Provo is where I spend most of my time.

I only fish on weekdays though. I've found that the crowds are much more manageable.
[signature]
Start getting into Stillwater fly fishing and then your fly fishing options will really open up. Get into warm water species with your fly rod and you have even more options and almost no competition.

I made a bucket list of lakes I wanted to hit this year to fly fish for trout and warm water all with in about 150 miles of salt lake city and even though I have been fishing pretty much every weekend I have hit about half of them.

Mark
[signature]
I went a whole summer of last year (2013) with out sharing the river with someone I didn't bring along to fish driving from Salt Lake City for the day. It can be done if you're willing to drive a little bit more and sometimes hike a bit. Now by midNovember a lot of places aren't accessible again until late Spring so it's a lot harder to avoid some company the rest of the year. My best advise for Winter is the Weber. I know how you feel, it took me all of 2-3 outings to the Provo to realize it was pretty much the slum of Utah fly fishing and that was 15 years ago. I hate to think of what it's like now. I'll shoot you a pm on a spot to hit for a few weeks and then next summer.
[signature]
I wouldn't totally rule out the Lower Provo. Here is Larry Tullis a week or two ago. He does great.

Weber is great though.
[signature]
If you aren't necessarily looking for huge fish, you could try the cottonwood canyons. I have had some great days parking low and working my way up shooting pocket water. The fish aren't real big but it's a riot watching them shoot out from cover to hit your fly. I think I have a total of three days fishing on the Provo and all of them on the lower. I am curious what you mean by "weird culture" on the middle provo. Or is that just a nice way of saying A holes?
[signature]
Hotspotter!….Let's keep everyone on the Middle, shall we Joni [Sad]
[signature]
haha I guess you could call them A-Holes. I just said "weird" cause it is something I'm not accustomed to. Where I come from if you came to a spot on the river that someone was fishing you just moved on to the next. You would never crowd them out or sit there and watch them and wait for them to leave. It was just bizarre to me to see that happen. I haven't been on the lower yet. Is it any better cultural and fishing wise than the middle?
[signature]
The lower is a bit less crowded (mostly) the spawn is about to get going though so I guess we will see.
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]Hotspotter!….Let's keep everyone on the Middle, shall we Joni [frown][/quote]

No no, not hotspotting, just helping this gentleman that I have never met out. Isn't that what we do here[Wink]

Note: Larry Tullis is a guide on the LP so he knows it well.
[signature]