Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the market for another rod....
I think I want another 6 wt. I currently have a St. Croix in 5 wt. and a Sage in 6 wt. I want another 6 wt. for another still water option, looking at a Sage VPS it Echo Edge....opinions? Never thrown an Echo, both have pretty good reviews.
[signature]
Ones American made, the other isn't...does that help[Smile].
[signature]
I've never cast an echo but haven't gone wrong with a Sage yet. Have you cast them to see how they feel for you?
[signature]
?
[signature]
If you havent fished a loop rod they are awesome, I got a 6wt and love it my favorite rod for sure, there is a similar rod to the one I have on leland its a 3 piece 6wt for only a 100 bucks a smoking deal
http://www.lelandfly.com/On-Sale/Rod-Sale/
[signature]
Nice? Thanks for the link!
[signature]
It is a VPS, used, for sale locally.
[signature]
I may have found a lower section for my Legend Ultra, so may just go that route with another 5 wt.
[signature]
Maybe think about a 10'er. They are nice.
[signature]
I fished the Redington Vapen Black in the 6wt for a gear review for three weeks. Really liked it. Enough backbone to throw whatever you want, including my heavy egg patterns I like to toss. Enough finesses you can fight a fish on lighter tippet and throw a larger dry if you have too. Great rod for only $350.
[signature]
[quote spencerD]I fished the Redington Vapen Black in the 6wt for a gear review for three weeks. Really liked it. Enough backbone to throw whatever you want, including my
Quote: heavy egg patterns

I like to toss. Enough finesses you can fight a fish on lighter tippet and throw a larger dry if you have too. Great rod for only $350.[/quote]

That just strikes me funny...how heavy can an egg be. Most people would have said big weighted streamers.[Wink]

Just my take on this subject and I am sure I will get labeled on this, but each time I buy a rod in a weight I already have I try to up grade. I will add, I do not pay list price on any rods except my bamboo. Ebay.
I started with a TFO 5 wt and now have Sage & Winston & Icon. Found I don't use the TFO anymore..LOL
[signature]
HA! Good point.

If y'all have ever fished Alaska, a lot of guys up there use beads instead of an actual egg pattern on a hook. They'll set the bead up about an inch or so up from a hook and drift it through the river. Works pretty stinking good. I first saw it in Alaska but I've come to learn it's not just a thing up there.

They're pretty heavy rigs! almost as weighty as a streamer.
[signature]
I have fished that. Circle hook on end. I agree works great and easy to change out. Some still call it snagging though, so I kinda stopped.
Now these guys tossing 6" articulated/dumbbell eyed beef are tossing weight.[laugh] Like Cheech and Curtis.
[signature]
6 weight? Swift Epic 686-3. Hands down the best six I have ever cast. And you can pick your color
[signature]
If its a Stillwater rod, I like stiffer, faster rods like the Sage ONE or Loomis NRX. I think that these rods are actually a half a line weight heavier so throw heavy weighted lines well. I also like a little bit more length. However, longer rods are heavier and stiffer generally so I've used 4 and 5 weight 10 footers. A little heavier reel will balance out the weight as well.

The Echos that I have thrown had good backbone but were heavy.

I've thrown Loops in the salt and they were good, not what I would consider great. I've heard really good stuff about their newest freshwater rods.

Epics are, well, epic but are glass. I love glass but it is too soft for my taste with heavily weighted lines.

I haven't thrown the vps so can't speak to it specifically.

Obviously, there is no substitute for throwing them. I noticed this week that Angler's Den now stocks Loop.
[signature]
Good info. folks, thanks a lot.
[signature]
Forgot one: the Hardy Zenith. I threw the 1 piece (they make a 4 piece as well) while floating the Yellowstone. Its a very sweet rod and you can pick it up for less than retail on eBay if you watch.
[signature]
The Epic is glass but casts sink tips, full sinking, and big nasty flies better than any rod I have ever taken out on a lake, and the sensitivity is beyond description.
[signature]
[quote RiverHag]The Epic is glass but casts sink tips, full sinking, and big nasty flies better than any rod I have ever taken out on a lake, and the sensitivity is beyond description.[/quote]

I love glass and even full flex graphite, but my experience does differ. Glass is not more sensitive than graphite specially faster action graphite.
Don't get me wrong, I prefer a medium to slow action as I feel it aids in making a better caster, but the response is slower. Try deep nymphing with each. Got to know the limitations.
As far as weighted lines, the faster the sink rate, the thinner the diameter. I have never seen them as a challenge in casting. Sink tips, are another story. All the weight is in the tip much like a bunch if split shot. Another reason I prefer full sink to sink tips, but a personal preference.
I use six weights more than any other rod weight but I am all about stillwater. Local rivers I am mostly 4 or 6.
My preference for what it is worth is Helios, and the H2 in a medium fast action. Winston, the BIIx, Allen Fly Fishing the Xa2 or the Icon.
10'er isn't mandatory on stillwater as you are fine with a 7' because you are mobile, but 10 is nice in all other aspects and it can pick so much line up in one lift. Guess that is why Steelheaders like long rods...LOL
[signature]
Any experience with a G loomis whispercreek or pro 4x? Found some good deals on eBay for both and wanting to know if there is a big difference between the two so I can maybe save some money. Thanks!
[signature]