Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sinking poly leaders
Does anyone have any advice on fishing with poly leaders? I have been looking at a kit of various sink rates and I have never fished with them before. I guess my thought is that I could use them with my floating line to help get a streamer down quickly or fine tune my nymph depth with out having to buy and extra spool and sinking line. I fish rivers of various sizes and rarely fish still water. has anyone used these with success? what do you love/hate about them and how to you rig?
[signature]
That is exactly what they are for. What length are they? I use to use them all the time (so I didn't have to pack different weight lines). I still have and use a Multi tip line on my eight weight so I don't have to buy a bunch of reels for a rod weight I don't use often.
[signature]
Given that I fish mostly smaller to medium sized rivers I am looking at a set of 5' leaders. I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track at least. the streamer thing makes perfect sense to me but I guess I am more concerned about how to use them with a nymph rig. My usual set up involves the use of a strike indicator some distance up the standard leader from the fly/weight. With the a weighted leader do I just put the indicator where the fly line and weighted leader meet or do I just need to quite being a sissy and start fishing sans indicator?
[signature]
[quote Lech456]Given that I fish mostly smaller to medium sized rivers I am looking at a set of 5' leaders. I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track at least. the streamer thing makes perfect sense to me but I guess I am more concerned about how to use them with a nymph rig. My usual set up involves the use of a strike indicator some distance up the standard leader from the fly/weight. With the a weighted leader do I just put the indicator where the fly line and weighted leader meet or do I just need to quite being a sissy and start fishing sans indicator?[/quote]

With these leaders, I never used an indicator. Just tighter line. I like the intermediate and the Type II for nymphs and wet flies. It replaces split shot ans with make casting much easier (no duck and chuck). The faster the water the larger number sink tip. Nice thing an bout these are you can still mend your dry line to flow with the current. Vary the length of the tippet you attach to these sink leaders too. Maybe 6' to 3'.
[signature]
good to know. thanks so much for the advice. Looks like it may be time to up my game and quit relying on an indicator.
[signature]
I did what you're thinking of doing and would recommend against it here's why.

For streamers they are a lot harder to cast. It doesn't add up fast but by the end of the day that extra weight adds up. I found that it deadens the take too. If you're fishing smallish rivers then you will fight snagging the bottom a lot as well. It's not even the flies the line just gets hung up on the bottom a lot more than I ever thought it would. And if you have a few different sink rates you'll spend a lot of time figuring out which one to use when.

As for nymphs don't even go there. I can't see it working on rivers but on still water it would be okay. Think about it... that is a lot of weight for a smallish trout to pick up and move far enough for you to discover the take. That's the reason there is only leader/tippet material to the flies with barely enough weight to get/keep them on the bottom.

That was a long response so if you need clarification just ask.
[signature]
Thanks Troller I appreciate the input. I suppose those are things that I hadn't thought of. Do you then suggest that I use split shot or weight putty with a standard nymph rig like I have been doing? what are some other rigs that you have had luck with?
[signature]
Up to you. They make streamer lines that are front 7' to 15' sinking line into a floating. Exactly what the sink leaders do. Kelly Galloup hasn a streamer line that is first 30' a grain weight into an Intermediate or floating. I have never had the line hang up on rocks. Fly yes but more on a floating line with split shot.
I have been making sinking furled leaders for the past 3 years and sold 100's to river/stream fishers.
I have been using it for about 15 years, but different strokes.
Just different styles of fishing I guess
[signature]
I just wanted to add, I fish a lot of places that do not allow back cast. Roll casting is pretty much my main cast, these leaders make that so much easier than split shot .
[signature]
I obviously have never used them but in my mind the weight is going to be there one way or another. Either spread out in the sink line or concentrated in the split shot. I would think that they both have specific situations where they shine but my hope is that for the most part, the sinking line (evenly distributed weight) will make for better casting and therefore presentation. I did decide to order them and I am excited to try a new setup and form an actual opinion of my own. Like you say, different strokes. Maybe I will hate them, but there's only one way to find out I suppose. Have you ever used a tippet ring to keep from chewing into the leaders every time you add or change tippet material?
[signature]
Absolutely! Love rings. As I said I make my own leaders (furled). I even use a tiny swivel for streamers. Do you have an idea of how to attach them to the leaders?
[signature]
Perhaps you will find the perfect place for the new wieghted or is it sinking leaders?

Come back here and tell us what you discovered will ya?
[signature]
I have looked into the rings as well as the swivels but all I could find on how to attach them was just with a simple clinch or davey knot. I would love to know how you do it. I hear that you can use them on a floating line with a dry, and the surface tension of the water will keep them afloat on top? That sounds like folklore to me and I don't plan on using them on top, but I am curious what you experience has been.
[signature]
I certainly will. Thanks again for the input.
[signature]
With the sinking leaders diameter, I am not sure how to attach them. I just put loops in mine and secured with tying thread.
Send me a pm with an address and I will send you one of my 5' sinking leaders and a 3mm ring to try on the sinking leaders.
[signature]
I use tippet rings all the time. I have a couple of furrled leaders that end in a tippet ring. I have use furled leaders that end in a loop like a perfection loop. I prefer the ones that end in a tippet ring.

As for attaching leader to a tippet ring or a tiny swivel a davy knot is all I use. When I get a new tapered leader I cut the 5x off and tie on a tippet ring. Then I tie on that piece of 5x or smaller stuff for little dries and the tippet/leader set up will not sink any faster at the point where the ring is tied in. I know hard to believe but that is my experience and I am just sharing it with you. Yours my differ so let us know if it does.
[signature]
that is really cool! I had some serious doubts about that working on top but I have no reason to believe that it won't if you have had good luck with it. I can't wait to try it out. The weather up here is supposed to be in the upper thirties next week so I am going to see if I can sneak out. I will let you know how it goes.
[signature]
Update: froze my keister off today in the 25 degree fog but I couldn't not go when I got the furl girl in the mail. Only having fished this rig for about an hour I don't consider this a full review but I really enjoyed how it casted. I was able to bring a couple of white fish to net despite my lack of experience fishing deep without an indicator. It was a liberating experience nymphing with only line and fly and I think I may be hooked! If we get a decent day up here (above thirty) I'm headed back out to try a streamer. Thanks again for all the help!
[signature]