Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Expo Cow Buffalo Tag
Thanks to SUBMOA coming down twice to help out and glassing from 4-5 miles away I was able to find the Buffalo and take my Cow. I had The Gun Vault in West Jordan make me up a new rifle with a Winchester Model 700 receiver from a 300 Magnum. Great straight shooting rifle. Love this gun. One shot on Elk and one shot on Buffalo dropped them. Give them a call if you need one built. If anyone needs info on the Henry Mountains Buffalo Tag hunt just let me or SUBMOA know. We have the answers on how and where to find them. I was into Buffalo all the time. Lots of Buffalo down there.
[signature]
When did you get your buff? I got one down in that area a lot of years back and they were hard to find at that time.
[signature]
hunt was 11/28-12/14. I was into buffalo from day two till the end. I shot mine the last day at about 1:30 in the afternoon. There was a little snow on the ground also. The second week, everyday would fog up on me as I was looking or spotted and going after them. The fog would start from the top down. Nasty thick fog. There were three different groups that I could see at one time when I shot mine. great hunt thanks to submoa coming down and helping out. I was there alone the second week and just did not feel good about hiking for miles away from the 4-wheeler. I kept texting my GPS coordinates to submoa so he would know about where I was if he did not hear from me.
[signature]
My hunt was the 12th month as well, how many bonus points did you have when you drew your tag?
[signature]
I got my buff in the Tarantula mesa area, Swap canyon, cave flat. Hunted around the whole south end of the Henny mountains before I found some guys with horses that showed me where they were. There was little snow that year, so maybe that is why you saw more. How old did the DWR say your buff was? By the way, congratulations on getting your buff.
[signature]
Congrats on filling the freezer. Sounds like a great hunt!
[signature]
Awesome!! I would love to get a chance at a buffalo.
[signature]
I drew the tag at the 2014 Hunt Expo $5.00 draw. 1st time I ever put in for it.
[signature]
Behind BULLDOG is where lots of Buffalo are.... you have to get off the ATV and do some walking. I hired horses to get mine out..
[signature]
You lucky dog, first time you put in and a great price to boot, you can't beat that. Bulldog peak, yes we hunted that area early in the hunt and there was a lot more snow on that side of the mountain, it was one of the few areas we hunted on that said of the mountain, that we saw a lot of tracks but none were fresh. I guess we should have spent more time there. How far did you hike in to get your animal? During those years(1994), I did not have an ATV so we hiked everywhere, ATV's would have made it a lot easier. We were just lucky we ran across some local ranch hands that were willing to help us out.
[signature]
It was a fun hunt for sure. Glad I was the guy spotting, not humping those hills though. Pretty rough country.
[signature]