Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hows the fishing?
Hey everyone, Whats it like being a bass angler in California? I've read alot, but never fished there. So I thought I'd go straight to the source[Wink]! Whats an average day like on the lake? Whats the hottest bait? ect..

I'd love to hear from everone!
[signature]

Hey there BassmasterND,

I'm not much of a freshwater bass angler but I love my saltwater Calico, Sand, and Spotted Bay Bass.

Truth is, you can catch my bass just about the same way you can catch the freshwater variety. The only difference is that in the Big Salty, live bait will get you hits 100 to 1 in most deepwater situations. Fishing shallow with cover or structure!!! same-o same-o.

Oh ya, In saltwater 10-20-30 fish days aren't that uncommon.

Catalina Island, frontside, kelp beds RULE!!!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, BMND, howdy and welcome to the west. I am sure you read some of the bassin' magazines and know that California has long been a prime state to chase big bucketmouths. Several southern Cal lakes have the Florida strain largies and they get big. There is litle doubt that the world record is swimming in any one of several ponds.[/size]

[size 1]The really good news is that there are also a lot of places to get a good workout on numbers of bass, and not just the occasional big one. California's waters are well managed and maintained and the bassers mostly practice C & R. Those who don't are usually not savvy enough to make a major dent in the population of the heavily fished California bass.[/size]

[size 1]Largemouths are king in Cal, but Lake Perris and others has good populations of spotted bass (record class). In the northern half of the state there are also quite a few lakes and rivers with some nice smallmouths.[/size]

[size 1]Much of the bassin' in California is in deep reservoirs. The fish come shallow in February and March, for the "spring fling"...which can last into May in some waters...depending on temps. The standard buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, shallow running cranks and jerkbaits all do well. After that, you have to look for deeper structure. Summertime sees a lot of Carolina rigs and drop shottin' in twenty feet of water or more. [/size]

[size 1]Fall can be wide open, as the fish chase shad (and planted trout) in shallower water. Some big fish are taken at this time of year. A lot of guys like to wear themselves out tossin' those big trout-imitating plugs and swimbaits. They work, and can hang a few of the big stripers that live in some of the lakes too. [/size]

[size 1]Wintertime fishing in the deep reservoirs of the state may find you spooning or making other vertical presentations in up to 60 feet of water. You need a good knowledge of the underwater topography, a good sonar and a good touch with the rod to feel light bites. But, if you can find a school over an underwater hump you can take several fish out of one spot the size of your boat.[/size]

[size 1]That's pretty generalized. Of course each water has its own little quirks, and you can fish each one for a lifetime and never know all there is to know about it.[/size]

[size 1]The one thing about California bassin' that can't be said for your part of the country, is that you can find and catch bass all year...without needing an ice auger.[/size]

[size 1]Stay cool.[/size]
[signature]
Hey there BassmasterND, Since they already covered some of the particulars I can cover a few more for you.

In the region where I am at there are numerous touneys on different lake. you know what kind of pressure that puts on the fish. Regaurdless of the pressure, the bass are still there and aggressive.

Although the winter has pulled them down a little deeper, they are still out there. you just have to go to them. On a typical day it is not uncommon to get 12 to 16 lb hawgs. On a good day you can drum up the 18lb hawgs. Of course recently someone here in Cali pulled up the new disputed world record of 22.5 lb.

That one was pretty nice. I have a little buddy named Tommy that I have been trying to entice for sometime now. Tommy is the name that I gave to a LMB that looks like a long torpedo under water. The way he put a dent on my live well basket for my float tube one day, I estimate him to be 20-22lb himself.

Except for Tommy, most of the other bass that I have caught out here have been on a variety of buzzbaits, carolina rigs, texas rigs, whacky rigs, drop shots, night crawlers(whole jumbo), AAs, Senkos, Gitzits, and their favorite, live crawdads.

The average day around here will usually yield 2 anglers, 8 to 10 decent size bass. All C&R to ensure future fishing.

If you have any other questions, feel free.
[signature]
Hey guys thanks for the replys! Whats the average water temp in the winter and summer? And whats different from a [size 1]Florida strain Largemouth from a regular bass??

Thanks![Smile][/size]
[signature]
Bassmaster-ND: Man, you posed a great question. It's hard for anglers out here to compare with what you have in ND. There are hundreds of lakes and bass fishermen are everywhere. When you compare the numbers of people here with those in ND, I'll bet that there are more people in the Southern California area than those in the entire state of ND. No disrepect intended. I can envision fishing in a ND lonesome lake with no roads, no people, frogs croaking, and coyotes running along the lakeshores. Here in Southern California you are confronted with mass people problems. That's why most of my angling attacks are directed toward ocean bass and all the fish that come with them. When you cast a lead head at the Long Beach Breakwater you can be hooked up to a 2 lb calico and on the next cast to 150 pound Black Sea Bass. The variety is amazing. Sometime you might visit the area for a short trip. Bring your bass gear and watch it get shredded. Good luck. I still envy the serenity you have in ND. I have almost forgotten what's it like.
[signature]
Hey George. You know, sometimes I take it for granted that I live in the small "farming" state of North Dakota. I want to experiance the states that are "big" on bass fishing. But would that mean going to a lake thats overcrowded with fisherman that will close in on you when you catch a fish? Where as many times I will be the only person on the entire lake...for the entire day. Would I be giving up the experiance of seeing all the different animals, like having deer run right behind me when shore fishing? I guess most of the states that are "big" on bass fishing cant offer that. The fishing in North Dakota is just plain awesome. This past year I had no more than 5 other people fishing the lake with me (without me and friends included). As far as fishing in the ocean- I would love to. To throw your lure over the side of the boat and not knowing what kind of fish your going to reel up is pretty cool. Like you said you could catch a 2lb fish or a 150lb fish.

I guess I dont have it that bad.
[signature]
Bassmaster-ND: "Fishing on a lake with no one else on the lake" brings back memories, ancient memories. Before my knee replacements I used to hike 5 -10 miles to the upper lakes of the Eastern Sierras. There were no anglers on the lakes for all the time I spent on the excursion. It's still like that a little bit but not like it was in the late 1940's. But around here locally (Southern California) we have many lakes that you "pay to play" Even though I would love to see some of the primitive features come back I know that's impossible in todays modern times. Besides they plant giant trout in these lakes which eases the pain somewhat. One guy last week caught two 17 pound rainbows.
[signature]
Hey Bassmaster, to better answer your question on the lake it is like this. You show up on a nice peacefull area of the lake. Looking at the pristene atmosphere of the flora and fauna. You throw out your crank bait give a couple of jerks and wham!!!! You have something and suddenly you are surrounded by dudes from who knows where.

Everyone is looking at your rig and comparing. Trying to size you up and put you down for a little 12 or 14lb LMB that happened by your line. But can they prove anything bigger?? Not a chance. Only stories and no pics to back them up. What do they have??? Probably something that cost about 40,000 buck more than what you have but do they use it for fishing or showing off?? Hard to say.

If by chance you were to show up here one day I would be glad to show you some spots that are a little more exclusive. Come on over when you can and we can wet some lines together.
[signature]
Hey tubeN2, Doesnt sound like much fun. But catching the 12 or 14 pound bass sounds like a blast!! That would be really cool if we could fish together[cool]! But I dont see myself making a trip to Cali anytime soon[Sad]. But I promise If I ever do make a trip to California I will let you know!!
[signature]
That sounds good to me buddy. Just give me a holler when you're ready.
[signature]