Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone hear of Vernon reservoir
I was chatting with a buddy the other day and he told me the fishing was good at a place called Vernon reservoir I am just wondering if anyone has fished it lately and if it's work the drive
[signature]
out west by Vernon, in the west desert. full of hatchery mongrels. will probly dry up this summer. irrigation pond for ranchers. better go now if you want to catch fish
[signature]
Its also been home to some major browns in the past.
[signature]
Thanks for the info
[signature]
Lots of really big crawfish too. They will tug at your bait and when you pull to set the hook they let go, Can be frustrating, thinking you are getting a bite.

Vernon is worth the drive, especially if you go on Saturday morning and stay till Sunday afternoon. This weekend would be fantastic camping with the full moon.
There are several nice sites around the lake.

The thought that it will be completely dried up this summer is most likely correct, but until then there are some decent fish to be had and some great camping not to far away.
[signature]
Thanks for the insight I think I will take a trip down there
[signature]
It's a nice pond. Haven't been there for years, but it is still fun to fish.
[signature]
Took some Scouts there last year in July two mornings in a row. Had never been there before. It was pretty low, but still plenty big to fish. Boys had no trouble catching their limit of 11"-13" trout, all on spinners. Beautiful place and I hope to get out there again this year with my son. I have a co-worker who used to tube there all the time and loves it.

Plan to stop by the little store in Vernon for a drink or snack. I think it's cool to patronize small businesses like that.

If you have some extra time, you should also drop by the Vernon Wonderstone site and pick up some wonderstone. Perfect rockhounding destination for someone who wants some great ornamental rock for the yard, fish tank, or whatever. And it's the perfect site for kids (be careful of snakes in the hot summer, though). PM me if you want directions to the wonderstone quarry--it's about 10 minutes away from the Vernon convenience store (can't remember the name of the store) and easy to find.
[signature]
[quote akammerman]Took some Scouts there last year in July two mornings in a row. Had never been there before. It was pretty low, but still plenty big to fish. Boys had no trouble catching their limit of 11"-13" trout, all on spinners. Beautiful place and I hope to get out there again this year with my son. I have a co-worker who used to tube there all the time and loves it.

Plan to stop by the little store in Vernon for a drink or snack. I think it's cool to patronize small businesses like that.

If you have some extra time, you should also drop by the Vernon Wonderstone site and pick up some wonderstone. Perfect rockhounding destination for someone who wants some great ornamental rock for the yard, fish tank, or whatever. And it's the perfect site for kids (be careful of snakes in the hot summer, though). PM me if you want directions to the wonderstone quarry--it's about 10 minutes away from the Vernon convenience store (can't remember the name of the store) and easy to find.[/quote]

i think its either "silver sage" or "pennys" your thinking of?
I cant remeber which one it is thatss right by the verrnon turn off.
[signature]
Im pretty sure its silver sage,penneys is farther north.
[signature]
Everyone's covered it pretty well--Vernon is a little put-and-take fishery out by Vernon. I dunno that I would make a special trip for it, but if you're looking for something new and wanted to camp nearby it would be okay.

I was out there a week ago and the water level is good ad campground was full. I didn't do any fishing (I was just driving by) but plenty of folks were braving the wind to fish. Looked like there were people at the cleaning stations, so that's a good sign.

I haven't heard much about the browns since they drained it in 2008 for the repairs but surely they're in there again. Irrigation water being what it is this year, I'm not sure there's much chance for holdovers... so if you're nearby and wanted to take a few planters, it wouldn't be a terrible choice.
[signature]
The stream above the red is full of browns so yes they are most likely back in it.
[signature]