Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Fork 4/8-4/9 2015
I never thought it would happen but I'm posting a report (a late one at that) on the Fly Fishing Forum. Unfortunately this was from my trip to Idaho last week but I know some of y'all fish up there frequently. I spent spring break with my kids around Ashton, Idaho. It was warm, cold, snowy, rainy, etc. Typical Idaho spring weather. Wait 15 minutes and it will change. I was able to hit the Henry's Fork of the Snake River for a couple of days in between shooting trap and playing with kids. Zebra midges in sizes 16-18 were the ticket. I was using size 6-8 rubber legs as an attractor with my indicator set at about 5 feet. I had a blast. All I caught was rainbows and whitefish. I didn't care one bit. On one day, around 3-4pm I got a fish on nearly every other cast. It was insane. Some bigger, some smaller. It didn't matter to me. I was having a blast. I even got hailed on for a while. Didn't seem to bother the fish too much. The cold water of the Snake felt good on my knees. In fact, I think it helped my left knee out and kept it from swelling too much (had surgery a few months ago). I've attached pics of some of the fish I got. Enjoy!
[signature]
Wish that river was closer. Want to get up there sooooo bad.
[signature]
It can be cruel at times. Those fish get lots of pressure. I got lucky and had a great couple of days.
[signature]
I've been meaning to take a trip up there for a while now. I especially want to try the Harriman State Park section. Maybe I'll be able to do it this year.
[signature]
Glad you had a good time, what section were you fishing? I have had good luck in the canyon.
[signature]
I was fishing upstream from the Highway 20 bridge. I think I was about a mile or so upstream. I may have embedded the GPS info in the images I attached. I'll check to see. If so you can load them up in google maps and see where I was. It is some beautiful country and this trip has made me want a new fly rig.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Do I know you?

Nice report. Love that area. Used to have a childhood friend who lived in Ashton. Spent a lot of good times on that stretch of the river, as well as Warm River and some of the small brookie-infested creeks up into Island Park.

Lemme know when your knee is tube-worthy.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I know Pat. I know. I was shaking my head the whole time I was writing the report. I never ONLY fly fish and I never post a report on the Fly Fishing forum. I've fished the Warm River thanks to you. I haven't done that well...yet. My knee is rapidly improving. The leg strength is the biggest issue but that is coming along well. I'll holler once I break it out. The doc said that kicking motion is actually therapeutic since it isn't impactful and helps with flexibility. I need to get everything set up and ready for maybe a utah lake catfish excursion. Just gotta get this weather to calm down!
[signature]
Hey remo,
There should be lat/long coordinates embedded in the images. If you right click on the files (after you have downloaded them), you should be able to view the Properties (if on windows) or Get Info (on a Mac).
[signature]
Nice to see you back in action and I hope we can go fly fishing soon because it's been over 1 year since our deer creek/Utah lake trip [Sad].
[signature]
Fun trip and nice looking fish.
[signature]
You may end up pulling all of your hair out. Fish rising everywhere but nothing will take your fly haha! At least that's how it was for me.
[signature]
You want dry fly frustration? Get over to Silver Creek [:/]
[signature]
That stretch gets hit so hard in the summer when I was fishing it a lot half the fun was watching the frustration of people not used to highly selective fish. Congrats on a good trip. I miss my old stomping grounds.
[signature]
Nicely done! I have had some great days and some crappy ones on that river... BTW i found the location, and the first thing i noticed was the mansion right next to the river there. That guy is living the life! Thanks for sharing
[signature]