Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just getting into fly fishing
I have always wanted to try my hand at fly fishing, and have finally got to the point where I am ready. Problem is, I know nothing about equipment. I was wondering if someone would be able to steer me in the direction of some equipment that wont break the bank, but also isn't super cheap. Thanks
[signature]
I've got quite a few things from the classifieds section on KSL. I have also seen some posts I believe to be rip offs. That being said I've got some things at a huge discount, you just have to be okay with it being used the majority of the time.
[signature]
Regarding a good setup I would direct you to do a combo from a cabelas or bass pro and do one of their branded setups. They use big brand blanks for their rods and are a steal usually. Fish it for a bit and once you learn what you like and don't like you can buy a more refined setup.
[signature]
You can get a great starter outfit for less than $200 no problem. Check out the arrives encounter kit, or any redington crosswater or pursuit kit. All the starter kits will fish about the same so don't overthink it to much. Just find one you like and start fishing! Here are few links to get you started

http://www.orvis.com/p/encounter-5-weigh...utfit/8p43

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.j...53Dproduct

This Crosswater kit is what i learned on. I still have it as a backup rod!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/F..._105571980
[signature]
THE RLS + combo from Cabelas is a great deal at $150. Includes rod, reel, line and tippet with case for rod & reel. I have fished it and it casts nicely. My friend has the 5 weight in 9 ft. Nice starter set that will last you quite a while.
[signature]
Check ebay for some vintage rods the fenwicks are great rods with lots under 100. Or try the eagle claw featherlights good rods for around 30. Pair it up with a medalist reel and some SA aircel line and you got a great setup for cheap!
[signature]
What I'd recommend, before you even buy a starter kit, is to do a few other things.

Take a casting class/lesson so you can understand what the equipment does, or is supposed to do. You'll be able to cast more than one set-up, learn the terminology, and the importance of each component. If you learn to cast correctly, at the beginning, you'll catch onto everything else much more quickly and enjoy it instead of snapping off flies and picking out tangles. You can then try a couple set ups and buy one.

Try to "buddy up" with someone knowledgeable for a day or two on the water, for the same reasons above. Might cost you little to nothing. Spring for a few flies, lunch, and gas maybe.

If you could swing a day of guided fishing, that would be invaluable, even though it may be a few hundred bucks out of your pocket for a day. It would cut your learning curve exponentially, you'd catch fish the first time out, and have a tremendous head start. Casting, bugs, leaders, knots, landing fish, and a host of other things you can be exposed to in a short time by an expert. Find someone to share the cost, and you won't ever regret it.

Just buying a starter outfit, rigging it up from instructions or youtube, and heading for the nearest pond or river isn't the best way to get started. There's plenty of gear as has been mentioned, all good recommendations. Just don't put the cart before the horse, or however that goes!
[signature]
I recommend just buying your own fly tying gear instead of ksl because most of the people on ksl will rip you off on fly tying material.

If you getting a fly rod to begin with I'd recommend a Redington cross water. Don't get the package. Get the rod in a 9' 6 wt and go to cabelas get a wind river real for $20 and some decent line. The reel they put on the cross water combo is complete garbage.

When it come to tying some new flies this guy is great with instructions video.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIdIkp_...-Pb4-BDBjw

If you live in the SLC county area I'm more than willing to teach you on a local pond how to cast because it's sure better to have someone show you instead of watching videos how to cast..
[signature]
Redington offers very affordable equipment, and most of their rod/reel outfits come with everything except leaders.

I really enjoyed my redington pursuit 5 weight outfit for many years, but have since upgraded.
[signature]
Sportsmans carry a redington combo that includes a four piece rod, reel, line, and a case for a good price. I picked up two of these for grandsons on Black Friday. They seem to be a good value, and no problems with either outfit, so far. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Anything to get out on the water will work. But I don't think you can go wrong with the RLS + combo in a 5 wt from Cabelas. It is a great set up that will last you many years and the reel is fantastic. I do have a Walmart rod as a back up and loaner and it works, but a decent rod makes a big difference. It was on sale yesterday for $179 and I have seen ti as low as $150, rod, reel, rod case, fly line, and I think leader which you will want to replace.
[signature]