Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
drop shot question
Would like try drop shot style, looked at some vids online
Every guy connected hook directly to main line.

Something wrong with a short lighter tag line coming of the main? Or am I reinventing the wheel again?

Oh yeah, congrats on the retirement therapist, Been less than 2months for me and I still feel weird about it
[signature]
[quote 1sthound]Would like try drop shot style, looked at some vids online
Every guy connected hook directly to main line.
[/quote]

Correct. I tie the hook directly to the line with a Palomar knot and the tag end holds the sinker. The Palomar knot is a very secure knot for the hook and on the fish, but the sinkers relatively easily break off if snagged and you just tie on another sinker without having to start from scratch.

I suppose there are other ways to do it, but that is the only way I've seen it done or have done it myself.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The standard and traditional way is to tie directly to the line...with Palomar knot or something else you have found to get the job done without severely weakening the line. And it works, as evidenced by all of the tournament guys who use it regularly.

Howsomever. That ain't the ONLY way to rig. I fish dropshot "style" with small weightless tube jigs and with flies...as well as plastic grubs, worms, shad bodies, etc. And I almost never tie directly to the line. I like to leave a short leader...2" to 6"...to allow my offerings to wave and flutter as I work the weight across the bottom. I generally use a blood knot dropper.

Does my way catch fish? I wouldn't use it if it didn't. Is it any better than the traditional way? Very subjective. Ford or Chevy...or Dodge?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
A short dropper line will probably result in tangles as you lift and drop the rig. Typically, you'll use a plastic bait of some kind on the hook, and they tend to spin or dart erratically with just a hook in the nose, thus the good chance for tangling.

Just tie the rig as shown on TwoYubes. You might even pick up a few of the special hooks that have a short wire shaft through the hook eye made just for drop shotting. Tie the main line or leader to the top eye in the wire and a lighter (lower break test) line to the bottom one and thus to your sinker. The special "spin shot" hook allows the bait/lure to spin freely around the line.
[signature]
Ok I think my terminology is wrong, Or I am not understanding yours,

main line down to sinker, a light short line above sinker off main wherever the depth is desired

And unless I am thinking totally wrong as usual
Why not a three way light wire swivel? wont work?

Top loop to main, side loop attach short light line to offering.
Bottom loop used to go down to sinker maybe with lighter line for sinker break offs?

Boy that came out wrong hopefully you get the drift,
[signature]
You described it well, but that's three-way rigging. Technically, drop-shotting is something else.

As a loose analogy, neither a dipsey diver nor a crawler rig is a downrigger. Close, but not exactly the same thing.

Capiche?
[signature]
Yes, I understand I am thinking in the wrong terms,
I will look around for those hooks you mentioned, although in Price I will be headed North or ordering on line
Thanks for the correction of what I have in mind

I have a cutoff white 55gal drum to test the outboard in
believe I can mess around with different set ups and see which ones I think have the best action.

Thanks for the advice guys
[signature]
[quote 1sthound] And unless I am thinking totally wrong as usual Why not a three way light wire swivel? wont work?

Top loop to main, side loop attach short light line to offering. Bottom loop used to go down to sinker maybe with lighter line for sinker break offs?

Boy that came out wrong hopefully you get the drift,[/quote]

[#0000FF]No need to get hung up on terminologies. Fishing a bait or lure above a sinker can be done with many riggings...each with multiple nomenclatures. And as you learn the properties and applications for these different riggings you can adjust your approach to fit the fishing conditions.

Attached are a couple of pics. One is what I refer to as a "high-low" rig...from the term used by salt water anglers for pier fishing. The other shows how I often incorporate a small barrel or crane swivel...to which I attach a dropper on either the top or bottom loop.

I also use small three way swivels for some rigs, such as when using an elongated leader for flies, light plastics or bait...while casting and retrieving or slowly bottom bouncing.

In short, you can rig however you want and call your rig whatever you want. But the strict use of the "drop-shot" method relies on tieing the hook directly to the line as in the videos and web instructions you have found.

To further cloud your thinking, consider replacing the drop-shot weight with a jig...or a small casting spoon. I fish a lot with a jig and fly tandem rig. When I put the jig on the top dropper I use it for slow trolling or cast and retrieve. With the jig on the bottom I fish it like a drop-shot. Both ways catch fish.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I love the drop shot rig. It has caught more bass for me, than any other set up. It's definitly a good one to learn.
I got this beauty on a drop shot just recently:

[image]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Fj1Dy54_s8M/VY1mkVmzTkI/AAAAAAAAE9k/3RjjmX4NvSY/w346-h260/sand%2Bhollow%2Bsummer%2Bbass%2Blogo.jpg[/image]
[signature]
Thank you TubeDude,
I appreciate you sharing, printed pages and in my folder
for reference
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hope it helped. As with most fishing methods there is an ongoing evolution of techniques and it pays to check in on Utube and other sources for new ideas. Even better to experiment on your own to find new ways of presentation on your favorite waters for your favorite species.

One thing that was mentioned in one of the other posts is using the prerigged wire/hook setup that you just tie into the line...and it has the hook rigged on the wire so the point is up and it rotates freely on the line. Not sure what the retail cost is on those but if you have a pair of round-nosed pliers and know how to make good loops you can make a bunch of those up with your fave hooks for very little expense. Here is a pic of a couple I make and use.

[inline "14. 1 MINUTE SECOND ONE.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well darn, yes I do have the pliers and knowledge of loops, (used to be a bench jeweler in a former life).

I priced those hooks and they are a shade rich for a guy like me. But heck if I can make my own that's just icing on the cake.
I love making my own fishing stuff, adds to the satisfaction when I catch fish.
I will assume that you are using spinner type wire?

I have pretty hard jewelry wire but I can get a spool of proper stuff if need be.

Let me know what gauge and type will hold

Thanks!
[signature]
[#0000FF]I use several sizes of stainless wire...from .016 to .051. I make lots of spinners, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc. Plus, I have a lot of my own creations that incorporate the addition of wire and blades. See attached pics.

The size I use most for most light work is #9 wire, which is .024. It is available from Janns, Barlows, etc. But if you would like to visit my playroom sometime, I can show you the motions and download some of my wire for you to work with. Once you know the simple bends and twists it becomes quick and easy to make all kinds of goodies.

Shoot me a PM if you would like to visit and I will get you the address and directions.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The thing about tying the hook to the line is so you can feel the bite..And when the weight is on the bottom all you do is shake the line and your lure will dance..

The best hook I have found is the Gary Yamamoto Split shot hook, it comes 15 to a pack and 5 swivels I like the #3 or #4..
[signature]
Locally, Fish Tech stocks wire in various sizes !
You can also use a fly snap on the twisty and attach just about anything you want.
Take advantage of TD's invite to his tackletorium.
You won't regret it.
[signature]
I fully intend to take the invite, I am excited to go and learn stuff.
Not too many guys are willing to share decades of knowledge. with a stranger (for now)
[signature]