Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginners question!
Hi!

I'm a new member, who's just beginning to fish.

I've fished a few times and just got hooked up completely.

I want to learn more about it but can't seem to find good resources.

Are there any websites that provides good fishing guides for beginners?

I'm not exactly wanting to spend money on fishing books, so if there are any

websites, please let me know.

Thank you!!
[signature]
Hey Dish welcome to the board! Just stick around here and read some of the posts -- ask some specific questions about the type of fishing you like to do. You'll find that there are plenty of people here who are happy to share. We have fisher folks of all levels here, so you'll fit right in. There are also boards for local areas (your state).
[signature]
Hey Dish, welcome to the site. What kind of fishing do you do? I'd be glad to answer some questions.
[signature]
Oh wow!

Thanks for quick response guys! Well I'd do any kinda fishing... I really don't know anything about fishing. I've been catching alot of sunfish and some walleye. Never tried fishing for bass, but I'd like to sometime.

All I've been doing (I've got couple of friends that I fish with, but all of them are newbies too) is tying a hook on the line, and using either live worm or corn. Corn seemed to work really good for sunfish or bluegill.

I've been watching fishing shows on outdoor tv channels, and got some info, but they all require previous knowledge of more basic things. Like, "Texas rig", and "Carolina rig" and etc, which I've got no idea what they mean.

You can pretty much suspect that I don't know ANYTHING about fishing... that's why I was asking for a website that has beginners guide sort of thing.

But thanks for all your help! : )

Dish
[signature]
WELCOME ,

TRY THIS , [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/ARTICLES/"]www.bigfishtackle.com/ARTICLES/[/url] , IT'S ON THAT BLACK BAR ON THE TOP OF THIS PAGE .

ANOTHER THING TO DO IS POST QUESTIONS ON THE FRESHWATER FORUM , DON'T BE SHY ABOUT IT EITHER , WE DON'T BASH PEOPLE FOR ASKING QUESTIONS , WERE FISHERMEN THAT BELIVE IN PROMOTING FISHING TO ALL .

WE LOVE FISHING AND WE WANT EVERYONE TO ENJOY IT AS WE DO .

IF YOU GO TO THE STATE BOARDS , ASK OR JUMP IN ON SOME CONVERSATION THERE , YOU JUST MIGHT FIND A LOCAL BUDDY TO HELP FIGURE ALL THIS STUFF OUT . BELIVE ME , 90% OF ALL MY FISH COUGHT LAST YEAR(EVERYTHING FROM CREEK CHUBS TO SALMON) WERE COUGHT ON JUST A HOOK , WORM , AND SINKER .

YOU CAN ALWAYS GO TO THE MICHIGAN BOARD TOO , I WILL ANSWER ANY QUESTION I CAN , AND IF I CAN'T , I'LL GET YOU IN TOUCH WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN .

YOUR NEW PAL , AL
[signature]
Dryrod, great illustration on the Carolina Rig! I've been trying to figure out what it was for the past three years and it wasn't until I talked to a Bass Pro Fisherman this past weekend that I figured it out. He told me, basically it's a Texas Rig with a sinker stop up the line. Great information he gave in the free clinic!
[signature]
Hey Dish! Welcome to the board!

It took me almost a year after I signed up to actually start visiting the board on a regular basis. I've been fishing for three years now and I'm still learning. Fishing is one of the things in life that you'll always have something more to learn.

A great source for some info on fishing is not just online but your local public library. They should have books you can check out. Here in my area they also have fishing video's you can check out as well. In-Fisherman has a great introductory video. They also have many specialty videos.

And by all means, please utilize the knowledge/experience bank here on this website! Tons of info here! I've found that many questions can be answered by slowly going through each forum on here. Somebody at some time has already asked the same question you probably have. Heh, that someone is probably me.

Best of luck and God bless ya!
[signature]
Hey Dish, The best advice I could give you is to go buy a chartruese spinner. Thats what I started out with and I caught blugill, pike, bass, trout and walleye. And you can advance on from that. When I go to fish for bluegill I always use a wax worm. The bluegill around here go crazy for it! Check out the articles on BFT.

Good luck
[signature]
Hey Dish, Hi and welcome to BFT. I hope you find yourself at home here and gain the knowledge that you seek. It sound like you are up north somewhere. What state do you live in?? We might be able to direct you to a board from that state where they could have all the local and current information that will make fishing more enjoyable for you.
[signature]
Welcome to the great sport of fishing. Pick up a copy or go on line of In-Fisherman. Mag is packed with great tips and methods. Good luck. Tight lines
[signature]
[size 2]I would recommend a stop at library. Read up on different articles, also maybe buy a couple fishing video's and/or watch fishing shows. See how they hold pole, set hook, etc.[/size]

[size 2] Then it's trial and error. Fishing is not an exact science, I have gone out with the right pole, right line, hook and bait for catfish and pulled in trout![/size]

[size 2] Fishing is a crazy and fun thing to do. 16 years down the road of fishing and I can still be surprised what I pull up on the other end of my line. [/size]

[size 2] It's a good healthy past time and it realitivy inexpensive and intial investment.[/size]

[size 2] I have babbled long enough, last thought....[/size]

[size 2]" Take care of your equipment " Storage, maintenence and so on " and you will have your equipment for years![/size]

[size 2] I still have my original Zebco pole and reel from 16 years ago! I use it to catch live smelt[sly][/size]
[signature]

Hey there Dish,

Welcome to BFT. Lots of good advice from the guys who've already posted. Library and Google sounds great. What State/City are you in? If you're in a big city, the library may even have VIDEO's you can check out!

When I'm looking at a new subject.... I go to google and do a 2 or 3 keyword search... switch or replace keywords and search again. Always jot down a good website because you may never see it again! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
[Wink] WELCOME TO A SPORT THAT IS HABIT FORMING. WHERE DO YOU LIVE? WHAT DO YOU FISH FOR FRESH WATER OR SALT WATER? WILL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU ANYWAY THAT I CAN. ITS FUN WHEN THEY BITE AND FLUSTERATING WHEN THEY DO NOT> DENNY UPHAM -GUIDE HALLIBURTON
[signature]
Hey Dish,

You might want to enter the drawing for the free year's membership to BASS that I'm giving away. The magazine itself is full of knowledge and will help you understand more about ecology and how bass relate. You can also get an idea of what some of the fishing techniques are. Besides, it's free so why not?

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread

Hope to hear from ya soon!
[signature]
The best thing for you to do is hook up with an experianced Angler, and ask questions, you are already hooked up with some of the best right now using this web site, just ask you will get the information you need. you may even end up going out fishing with a few and they can walk you thru it all..

Good luck. [Wink]
[signature]
That's part of the reason I love this site! I've learned more than I ever imagined I would over the past couple years that I've been here. Still haven't hooked up with anybody for hand's-on teaching. But that day is coming in about 6 weeks.
[signature]
Welcome Dish,

One of the first things I did when I got started was to hang out at the local tackle shop. The owner and other local anglers I have always found to be friendly and willing to offer info. to new guys.

I would also recommend buying a couple of spinner baits. Throw em out and reel em in. Those can be purchased at the local tackle shop, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. To start buy the 1/4 oz size with white and charteuse colors. They'l catch just about anything as well as an in-line spinner - Mepps is brand name that you may have heard of for an in-line spinner.

One last lure that I might mention is a Rat-L-Trap. Buy the 1/4 oz size, chrome in color, with a blue or black back and you'll probably be safe on any lake in North America. Here again that is the type of lure you throw out and reel it back and wait for the strike............and when they hit a Rat-L-Trap................I promise - you'll know.

Bass Wishes,
[signature]