Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camp Bartlett/Montpelier Area
Hey, I'm bringing the scouts up to Camp Bartlett near Montpelier ID in a couple weeks, just wondering if anyone has fished the area? I guess there are two ponds there which they keep stocked, but I was hoping to find something around the area where I might find a few better quality fish or just some info in catching at the camp. If anyone has been up there, any info would be great!
[signature]
We hit that camp last year with our scouts!
You may be very surprised to see what's in that pond we caught some 20" bows while we were there! It actually doesn't get fished as heavy as you might think most of the scouts are doing other activities and the other half don't know how to fish so it's not a bad spot. As far as other locations near? You have bear lake or the bear river........
Hope that helps!
[signature]
Thanks, that's good to know it's not all just little 1yr planters! How'd you catch the bigger ones, just soaking bait or throwing lures? Sorry, it's been a while since I shore fished standing water...lol
[signature]
It has been several years since I was there at Bartlett. There is a large lake in the center of the camp with rainbows. I did good then with a casting bubble on a spinning rod and a Black Panther Pistol Pete fly about five feet back. Vary the speed. Let it sit. Twitch it so it jigs, and then reel in a turn or two. More fish were caught on the dam end in deeper water. An expert fly fisherman was catching a lot on a fly rod, but I could never figure out what he was hitting them on. A report from 2 weeks ago said the fishing was poor. I don't know if that is true or the fish just weren't biting and active feeding.
There is a smaller lake down the hill to the North but they limited access to it and tried to keep everyone away from it except for the older Varsity and Venturer scouts who use it as a High Adventure base. I got permission to take our troop's camp friend down there from the Camp Director as long as we kept it quiet. We caught a lot of small trout with the casting bubbles and small bead head nymph type flies.
[signature]
You might want to ask this question on the Idaho board ?
[signature]
There is a trail that lead around main lake. If you follow that trail (I don't know my directions) but away from a majority of the camp sites, it will lead to a small little pond. You will know you are on the right trail since it drops pretty quickly. When I was there about 5 years ago I pulled out a 20 inch brookie. FYI. I'm sure that they will let you fish as an adult, but while I was there they made a non-scouts allowed rule since it was kind of out of the way and could be dangerous. Also, if you plan to float on the main lake, be prepared to get wet as they wanted me to pass their little swim test. I'm sure I could have fought them on the issue, but I figure it was good to have the boys see an adult do the polar challenge (I mean the swim test). Anyway, have fun. Oh and the mosquitoes were crazy bad!!!
[signature]