Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for Uinta Brookies?
Hey all--

My fiancee and I are tying the knot on August 15. One of our first orders of business after the honeymoon is going to be a weekend getaway to the Unitas for a fishing/hiking/camping trip that has been a long time coming.

I have resources at my disposal to research various options for the trip, but I thought I'd look for recommendations here.

I'm going to be playing the part of the pack mule, and the pack will not be a lightweight. That coupled with my soon-to-be-wife's relative newness to the hiking scene mean that we would like to keep the hike under 5 miles each way if possible.

Solitude is also high up on our list, and lastly we would really like to get into some fast action for brookies if possible. They are good eatin'. We will be fishing from shore.

Driving time isn't important; we're willing to head a ways out if that's what we need. We'll be taking a Subaru Outback, so dirt roads aren't anything too scary either.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Congrats on the upcoming nuptials. If you're looking for seclusion, brookies, and not too far a hike, I recommend Hidden Lake. It's about 3.5 miles from the Crystal Lake Trailhead (off Hwy 150, about 25 miles from Kamas). You'll pass Crystal, Cliff, Clyde, and the Divide lakes. Hidden Lake is .4 mile from the Divide lakes and off the beaten path, so you should have seclusion. It that area there are a ton of other lakes if you want to make a short day hike from your base camp. The brookies in there don't get a ton of pressure and make a delicious meal.

GPS coordinates for Hidden Lake: 40.709629, -110.981972
[signature]
Little Hidden on the Weber Drainage is good, not always secluded, camp away from lakes, to get privacy, best anyways.

Lovenia is pretty as well.

Parkard Lake from Highline tailhead.

Lodegepole near Granddaddy, but Hades pass is Hell.

From Chepeta Lake trailhead, Teds and bunches of others.

Solitude, good fishing, and not to far are all reasonably mutually exclusive.
[signature]
Heh, you make a good point. I think we'll need to re-evaulate our priorities in deciding what's most important between the three... I have a feeling I'm going to be more interested in "good fishing" and she's going to be more interested in the other two Big Grin
[signature]