Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
deercreek walleyes 8/23
well I took my good friend rocky up to deercreek for some walleye action started out north of the island trolling bottom bouncers with worm harnesses, started picking up fish immediately. first fish was a nice 18 eye, then picked up a nice channel cat ,released . a few perch and a surprising number of small mouths.boat traffic was moderate for a weekend( nice surprise). we ended up with 6 walleye, 6 smallies, 1 channel cat,and several perch. we kept 3 walleye and 4 perch and turned everything else back.
[signature]
Great report. Looks like a great day.
[signature]
The channels are a bucket bio intro, along with White Bass, Crappie, and Black Bullheads. When you catch one, you need to keep it, plus notify DWR of the catch. Releasing them is not in the best interest of the fishery !!!

Good job on the eyes !! Was back up on Saturday and all we could catch were SMB. Same pattern, swimming grubs along the north end. We did have to move a bit deeper, 8-10 ft of water rather than 4-6.
I thought the walleye, perch, and small mouth were all bucket bios that the DWR decided to run with once they were introduced.
[signature]
I think that was how the walleye got in the lake back in the 70's. Didn't hurt my feelings [cool]
[signature]
Great report Rich, good to read the DC is still producing for you. It's tough to consistently catch eyes from DC this time of the year, their number must be high but you have done well with them and the perch there. So how long was the cat?
[signature]
[quote Northman]I thought the walleye, perch, and small mouth were all bucket bios that the DWR decided to run with once they were introduced.[/quote]

[#0000FF]Perch have been in Deer Creek forever. Walleyes started showing up in the 70's. Largemouths used to be the bass of choice...planted by DWR. Then DWR transplanted some smallies from Flaming Gorge in the 80's. That's when the lake went to pot.

The crappies, bullheads, channel cats and white bass are all recent bucket bozo intros.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well...I'll be damned!
[signature]
the cat was about 16 inches I had a feeling I shouldn't have put it back and I was very surprised to see it . I knew the white bass were catch and kill. now I feel real bad I made the wrong decision. never again though.[mad]
[signature]
You didn't know and we all learn something new everyday, just chalk it up to something new you learned today[Wink].
[signature]
No one with any authority says you have to keep or kill the channel, do as you please.
I am boatless right now for another two or three weeks and your reports are KILLING me.
[signature]