Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ferron Res. 8-29-15
Got a late thumbs up to fish from the wife sat so decided to try some water close to Gunnison (current home) and having recently read a report on there being brookies in there I decided to make the trip up. Got on the water about 4:30 and there were 2 boats and another tube out and that was it. I am pretty new to the lake setup (was a dry fly snob having grown up in Idaho Falls) so all I have are a couple of rio sink tips. The one I had on was a 4IP and with big cone head streamers I can usually get it down in the 8-10 ft range.

Started off kick trolling a size 10 green body/black marabou tailed leach pattern I tied up and had good success down on Boulder with. All the way across the lake and half way up the west shore to the south and one bite. Switched over to a cone head white/rust muddler and after finding a spot with fish in the 10-12 ftw range managed to pull in 4 current year planters. Nothing too special (hence no photos) and decided to just kick troll along the banks and damn. Marked a few fish on the finder but no takers for 30 min. Switched over to a double renegade and had one good hit on the westside that broke off with strike so no clue if it was nice. The breeze died down so I decided it was a good time to get back to the truck and toss it in early. There was one area of the lake I wanted to fish but the other tube was there. He started kicking out as I was headed back so I figured why not. As I got over closer it was about an hour before dark and a good hatch started coming off and the fish started rolling. Instead of kick trolling through it, I decided to cast and strip a sz 14 renegade into where they were feeding. First 2 casts I hooked and landed a couple of nice brooks. Proceed to fish the bay they were in and hooked up and lost 3 more brooks, broke off on 3x twice, and land a couple more nice brooks. Saw a couple 18+ inchers under the tube that I am going to go back after. Turned out to be a top shelf night. Kick trolled back to the ramp and half way across got slammed by a football of a rainbow. was probably 16 inches but just heavy. At that point it was too dark for a decent pic.
[signature]
Sounds like you are getting the still water just fine.[cool]
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Sounds like you are getting the still water just fine.[cool][/quote]

Maybe [Image: bobwink.gif]. I have moved around enough for work that I tend to research areas, stocking reports, hatch charts, and old fishing reports like some people research college papers. And I am not above asking questions, or answering them for that matter to help another angler out. Its all about learning new places and techniques. The challenge is awesome.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the report and photos.

Nice fish!

For somebody new to lake fishing, it sounds you did just fine
It is really pretty up there.
[signature]
[quote gofish435]Thanks for sharing the report and photos.

Nice fish!

For somebody new to lake fishing, it sounds you did just fine
It is really pretty up there.[/quote]

Thanks and yes it is. I am trying to enjoy it as much as possible while we are here. Who knows where work will take me next. (Joys of being a construction guy)

One thing I found that helps a ton is using some type of sonar. I picked up a fishin buddy 140 for ice fishing a couple years back with the intent of someday using it on a float tube and now its turning out to be a good purchase. Just being able to know water depths and see the depth fish are suspended at takes a lot of the guess work out of lakes as half the battle is having your flys at the right depth and on fish.
[signature]
I found that electronics on a tube is a must. Been using one for years now.
[signature]
Well took what I learned the first time and made the 2nd trip worth it. Stabbed a dozen brooks with the pics being of the two biggest males, they're gorgeous right now.
[signature]
Thanks for the pictures of the nice brookies.

There is nothing better looking than a brookie in it's fall colors. Just think those fish are only three years old and growing like a weed.[Wink]
[signature]