Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Outing 09/13
First time out on Strawberry, besides ice fishing, and second time out with our new (used, but new to me) boat. Launched from Strawberry Marina around 7:45 am or so. Not quite as early as I would have liked but still okay. Had a buddy of mine and my 13 y/o son along today. Also a first fishing with downriggers which also came with the boat. Watched a few you tube videos throughout the week to familiarize myself with the process. ALSO first real use of my Lowrance Elite 4x. A day of a lot of firsts [Smile]

We started by just casting around with sinking Rapalas and my friend did manage to hook up what appeared to be a slot cut but lost it at the boat. Then we thought we would try the downriggers from Haws point to what I assume was part of the narrows which was basically due west of Haws point. We also were trolling without downriggers with a couple of rods to try different depths and lures. Got no love with the downriggers fishing from 20-40 feet nor the other non downriggers setup. We continued in to what I think were the narrows. We started fishing along a steep treed mountainside. The wind started picking up so we thought we'd stay in this area. Been reading a lot about jigging for cuts so I broke out a white cutter bug with a pink jig head tipped with a worm. Managed to hook up what again appeared to be another slot cut but it managed to get off near the boat as well. Frustrating.
Finally after another hour or so I managed to land a cutthroat about 17-18 inches longships unfortunately ended up being our only landed fish for the day.

Was really coming into the day with high expectations based on Old_Coots report from 9/11 but it wasn't meant to be. All in all I have to chalk today up as a learning day I guess. Still a beautiful day on a great lake which someday I'll figure out [Smile]
[signature]
Definitely a great day to be out learning. Now you will be ready the next time you go out.
[signature]
Don't get too down. I have had a boat for only 3 years and have never had the success of old coot. But I do like learning from what they say. The first year I had my boat my little brother caught more fish off strawberrys bank that I did from the boat. I'm slowly getting it. Learn every time I go out.
[signature]
"...the narrows which was basically due west of Haws point."

You may be stating it backwards, but the north entrance to the narrows is east of Haws Point.

Welcome to the sometimes frustrating world of boat ownership and fishing Strawberry. One of my early trips to Strawberry, on my first boat, we trolled from first light until late in the afternoon without a single bite.
[signature]
I was on the Soldier Creek side 9/13. It was a slow there as well. Got there late 10:00. Picked up a slot cut right off. Then caught two smallish skinny rainbows that were also returned to the water. Found some success later in 40+ feet of water. I spoke with 2 other boats they both said Saturday was very good, but they were having a tougher time on Sunday too.
[signature]
When anyone starts fishing on a boat there is a new learning curve. Keep a log book of your trips, mabe even get some fishermans maps on the lakes. Write down what you did. When you did it. The water temp. The moon phase. The air temp. What you marked on your fish sonar. Trolling speed. And anything else you can think of. After a while you will start to see some consistancys and patterns. A short pencil will always beat having a long memory.
[signature]
hey don't get down on yourself about a few bad outings at strawberry this time of year can be difficult , I was with oldcoot Friday and fishing was good but we really had to work hard for the bites they were very light when jigging. and we had to move a few times to get good action . I don't fish the narrows at all unless unless the weather is so bad it makes fishing the main lake impossible. we had our best luck fishing around the mud creek area anchored up in 25 to 40 feet of water and near the shore. I every place we fished. pearl tubes w/chub meat and lots of scent was the most productive for jigging crank baits worked well and would probably work well for trolling , I would not troll deeper than 10 feet this time of year, I,d troll in the renegade / meadows area or around the main lake within 100 yards of shore , concentrating on the west side of the lake . casting a tube or crank bait into shore will get you a lot of bites also I hope this helps you.
[signature]
Thanks everyone ....really appreciate all the feedback. I realize I have a lot to learn...but I know I will get there. Still have some good fishing ahead of us yet this year.

kentofnsl - I stand corrected ...I did mean East of Haws Point.

HeberCreeper - I haven't made it over to the Soldier Creek side yet....but hope to get there this year yet. Sounds like you at least had some success though...which is great.

Northman - Thanks for the advice. I really like the idea of logging conditions, trolling speed, temp etc.... I'm kind of a spreadsheet geek anyway....so that's right in my wheel house.

mtncat1 - Great advice ...I'll try the areas and techniques you suggested. Question....where does one get chub meat?

Thanks everyone !
[signature]
For chubs if you want to catch them your self there are lots of places like scofield. If you just want to buy the frozen stuff both sportsmans warehouse and cabelas carries it.
[signature]