Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Rainbows
Had a great day fishing at strawberry last Sunday. We caught 30 Rainbows and 10 Cutts. We fished 25-30ft of water using white jigs and rainbow power bait. The action consistent all day. We left at 2pm. Here is a pic of the rainbows we kept the biggest was 20"
[signature]
You got to love this time of year... That is a lot of cleaning!!!
[signature]
Are you sure those are rainbows." Better characteristics are deep orange pelvic and anal fins on the cutthroats, and white-tipped pink to gray-green pelvic and anal fins on the rainbows."
[signature]
Definitely look like Bows to me.
[signature]
Definitely bows...look at the white tipped anal fins.

That's it, I'm headed up on Friday!
[signature]
Good looking Rainbow! I hardly ever catch anything but slot cuts at Strawberry, kudos! Were the rainbow mostly caught on powebait or both jigs and bait?
Good report man! Thanks!
[signature]
100 percent rainbows this isn't my first rodeo. Most were caught on power bait good luck fellas.
[signature]
Great report, thanks for sharing.
[signature]
my mistake sorry
[signature]
[quote HD7000]Definitely bows...look at the white tipped anal fins.
[/quote]

ill have to remember this tip! - super tough to tell them apart sometimes. DNR shoudl have a seminar on identifiying these crazy cut hybrids
[signature]
No cut hybrids in Strawberry, the rainbows are sterile, I think the problem is that at certain times of the year the 2 species look more similar or with between immature fish of the two species. But the guys have done a good job at the subtle differences in the posts above. I think some "fishermen" imagine those big cuts to be rainbows because they have trouble letting a big fish go?
[signature]
[quote Blackellunge][quote HD7000]Definitely bows...look at the white tipped anal fins.
[/quote]

ill have to remember this tip! - super tough to tell them apart sometimes. DNR shoudl have a seminar on identifiying these crazy cut hybrids[/quote]

[#0000FF]No hybrids involved. Pure rainbows...triploid so they don't spawn.

DWR may need to train some of their personnel first. At one time they were issuing tickets to anglers who kept rainbows at Strawberry...if they had "cutt markings". And they were looking strictly at the orange slashes under the jaw. Turns out there are lots of 100% pure rainbows that occasionally have the little orange lines under their chins.

If you have caught and seen enough of both species...rainbows and cutthroat...there is usually little doubt as to the proper identity. You run a quick mental computer scan picking up the spotting patterns, fin colors, body coloration, etc.

By the way, I absolutely love how many skilled biologists we have on this board who can immediately identify a species from a sometimes indistinct photo. At best they usually get the correct family ID...if not the genus and species.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
good to know ! that slash under the chin is always the first thing i look for.

I usually only keep kokanee anyway
[signature]
[#0000FF]If you gotta be selective for a limit, hard to go wrong with a limit of them tasty kokes.

But I betcha more than a few folks make comments about the nice rainbows you got...or try to tell you your "cutts" are under the slot limit. I actually had a guy try to convince me they was "forktail rainbows".

But then, here in Utah you always gotta be ready to go fist city with some know-it-all doofus who wants to argue about one thing or 'tother...specially fishing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice Pics. Looks like you had a great time.
[signature]
its like the blue cats in utah lake. [crazy][crazy] people dont realize that there aint any..
[signature]
[#0000FF]There ain't?

Next you're gonna tell me there ain't no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny.

You just ruint my whole outlook on life.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yeah, the giant flatheads ate all the blues years ago, didn't you know?
[signature]
[#0000FF]I heerd tell that the Loy boys (carp seiners) has caught some o' them thar flatheads that weigh over a hunnert pounds.

Only flatheads I seed pers'nal was some carps I stomped.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great post and picture. Wouldn't it be nice just once to post a great picture of fish you kept without some arm- chair environmentalist telling you how wrong you are to keep fish or quoting some imagined regulation? Pretty much why I quit posting. Congratulations on the great fish and thanks for the post.
[signature]