Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Cal Fishing Questions????
Any question is a good question! I think I could be opening a can of worms no pun intended! I will do my best to answer all especially since Im sure plenty of you have questions regarding are so cal fishing which has been the best its been in 30 to 50 yr. Yes thats true! Im excited to be on the board and have high hopes of working together on here to not only improve our success rate but take our mind off things chatting about what we all love so much "fishing"

Bobby Big Fish
[signature]
Since I am land locked by several states all my knowledge is on fresh water. This past summer I had the chance for a little saltwater. Granted it was in northern Cali, but it was fun. So I will probably take you up on this as my yearly trip to Oakland gets closer. That way I will be better prepared next year than I was this year.
[signature]
Here to help was up there for a bit last yr on work. they have trips that take you out to get your limit of crab then bottom fishing for snappers. great eating. I had heard that the bait supply was limited to cut squid and no live bait so i went to the local fish market and bought three pounds of fresh shrimp. one other smart angler had a bag of frozen shrimp so i did a bit better but even though i shared my bait we were the only two with full sacks of fish. made for a killer night of fish tacos. stay in touch i can share with you also how my braided line allowed me to use half the weight of other anglers and a smaller rod to enjoy the fight a bit!!!!
[signature]
One thing that was recommended to me for off the piers up there was squid. I found some frozen in china town for a good price.

I have a 7' medium heavy spinning rod that I picked up from cabelas in June. If I go back out with my brother up by fort Ross (where we went in June) for the bottom dwellers I may pick up a 7' baitcaster. Big if there.... The spinning rod will do for my yearly run to the Bay Area for a week at a time for now.
[signature]
[quote bobbybigfish]Any question is a good question! I think I could be opening a can of worms no pun intended! I will do my best to answer all especially since Im sure plenty of you have questions regarding are so cal fishing which has been the best its been in 30 to 50 yr. Yes thats true! Im excited to be on the board and have high hopes of working together on here to not only improve our success rate but take our mind off things chatting about what we all love so much "fishing"

Bobby Big Fish[/quote]

I've heard about the warmer ocean water this year. Is that what you're referring to, and is it really the best fishing in 50 years [or is that just the fish I caught gets longer every time I tell the story Smile ]? I just hope this La Nina (which I think is causing the warm water) brings LOTS of rain this winter to California. We need rain!!!
[signature]
Sounds like a plan to me! one thing I can recomend that you research and find a offering(bait) that is not readily avaible and the fish like to eat. By researching the fish you may catch sure online you can find food of choice which may require going to the store for some fresh shrimp. By doing this can give you a advantage over other anglers and fish
[signature]
100% true. Last yr (summer) went done in the history books and this yr has been proved to be even better!!!!!!! Blue marlin, wahoo, opah,bluefin tuna just to mention a few have been on tap in huge numbers. A perfect example is the sandiego fleet includeing the expensive lg long range boats that travel hundreds of miles to mexico to track these fish. They have been leaving san diego and heading straight to the west into ca waters and fishing were our local 1/2 and 3/4 day boats go at times for huge numbers of tuna. Blue marlin exceeding 600 pounds have been hooked and landed here along with at least another 20 fish over 300 pounds. Wahoo in big numbers, they claim over a 100 wahoo have been landed on private boats and over a 100 have been captured on local 1 day range boats. Are bluefin tuna season has been off the hook to say the least with limit style fishing going on fo all for months. 5 to 6 miles off the beach on average. I could put this board on tilt typing all night about our season! its slowly comeing to a end and proubly have aprox 4 weeks to get in on the action. you can see daily reports on boats you pay to go on at www.976-tuna.com and see private boat action at jdsbiggame.com click on fishing report to bring truth to all this!!!!!!!
tight line
bobby big fish
[signature]
[shocked]damn.....
[signature]
Welcome aboard bobbybigfish. It is good to have more local anglers here. Tight lines bro.
[signature]
The El Nino conditions are bringing all the nice exotics up from Mexico and farther south. I am still catching Blue Fin Tuna, Dorado and even Sailfish off the local Islands. There are a few still hanging around Catalina but more of them up to the other Channel Islands. live squid is the main ticket whereas live dines and chovies are also good for species that chase live baitfish.
[signature]
Man you guys are lucky. I go to California once a year for a week. I may get to play on the water. You guys are there daily getting to play with this stuff. [blush] I'm jealous...... I got spoiled earlier this year when my brother took me out up by Fort Ross. Now I'm hooked and landlocked. Not a good combination.[bobhappy]
[signature]
The El Nino event is just the once in awhile treat for us. After that, we only have our regular Rock Fish, Barracudas, Bonito, Leopard Sharks and all the other normal mish mash of fish.

I do like the year after the El Nino because the pendulum swings the other way to the event called La Nina. That usually brings up the Humboldt Squid which range from 20 to 70 lbs. They are a lot of fun and put some good stretch on your line.
[signature]