Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Nelson report
(Lake Nelson is a power plant lake. The plant feeds warm water into the lake, so the lake is open all year round, it doesnt freeze.)

Went to lake nelson today. The temperature was -8 degrees. I didnt care about the temp as long as there was no wind. So I suited up with my thermal underwear. I was ready! I got to the lake and it was steaming, no surprise. I got there at 1 O'clock. I started out using my baitcasting reel, but the steam was too much for it. The anti-reverse started to not work[Sad]. So I switched to my spinning reel and put on a chartruse spinner with a nightcrawler because thats the only thing that my friend was getting bites on. My friend got cold and he went and sat in the pickup. So I kept on fishing and got a couple of bites and caught about a 6" largemouth. Then at 4 O'clock my feet started getting cold and so I called it a day.

You know you like fishing when you go when its -8![cool]
[signature]
yep, I know what ya mean,

I went out today and had the whole lake to my self. 20 mile north by north west, "Alberta Clipper" suspost to be here tomarow too.[cool] sure dried up the water on top the ice on the lake by my house.

I managed to max out on my limit of gills and crappies today. when I got back to my house, I had to hold my hands up against the lantern to thaw them enough to handle the key to the door...

the temp was 18 but the wind chill was -10*
[signature]
Hey Dave, How big do your bluegills average? Theres a lake here in North Dakota that they average a pound. (very hush hush)
[signature]
you will wanna keep it that way, some one like me might sneek up on that little pond of your and catch a limit or two.

here is a pic of yesterdays catch. 1/2 pounders to 3/4... I have caught a 2 pound gill from the same lake that turned out this mess.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2434;]
[signature]
Hey Dave, those look pretty nice! Heres a picture of some that I caught this summer with a bass and trout thrown in.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2443;]
[signature]
that is sure an impressive mess,

I see Roaches, gills and green sunfish. (three of the gill families) (roaches are the dark blue ones with bars) (the green sunfish have no bars)
[signature]
I guess you learn somthing everyday. I didnt know there were Roaches or green sunfish. I always thought they were just bluegills and they were different colors because of the places they hung out.

Thanks for the tidbit[Smile]
[signature]