Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batter Recipies
[size 1][/size][center][size 1][Image: garfieldsandwich.gif][/size][/center][left]if you have a favorite fish batter post it here, even if it is store bought.[/left] [left]if it is a home made batter please share recipie. and please tell which species of fish you use it on.[/left] [left]Tips for Battering fish... [/left] [ul] [li]run your fingers along the side of your blue gills to feal for any bones you may have missed when filleting [li]after fish are washed lay flat on a white towl or hevy duty paper towl to dry the fish before diping in to a wet batter. this works on double dips as well. (double dips are dipping in egg mixture before dipping on to flower mixture) [li]pre heat your pan before frying your fish, other wise your fish will soak up the grease in to the batter. [li]when frying use a good quality vegitable shorting and not a liquid cooking oil, the cooking oil will set in your stomach like a lead brick. [li]you can partialy cook your battered fish just enough to crust the breading, and then you can let cool and then freeze for later use. they can be popped in to the oven on a cookie sheet just like store bought fish sticks.[/li][/ul]
[size 1]what I do with the bass is fillet them, lay them on the skin side down and slice the skin off.

we do this because it is faster than scaling them and you loose the skanky taste that cam sometimes be accompanied with the skins from the waters thay live in. It has also been mentoned that the skin contain heaver concentrates of any contaminates that may be in the waters so it is best to skin them.

I also cut my bass in half the long way using the rib bones as the deviding line. then I shave off the other side of the bones to compleatly remove them all together. then I will cut my bass in to desired lenths. many times I will cut them in to 1 inch lenths making some of the nices hush puppies you ever want to taiste.

cooking battered fish in a deap fryer untill golden brown and not a crunchy batter is the best way to know you have not over cooked the fish and dryed them out. they can even be frozen if you undercook them just a tinny bit. the batter will be a yellowish color. you can take them out of the freezer and place them on a cookie sheet covered with foil and bake them at 350* for 15 minutes, they will be just as taisty as they were when they were first fryed. no one would ever know that they were frozen and then rebaked. Take causion not to bake them to long, you can dry them out on that end of the process. [/size]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=890;]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=120787;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;"][#000000]16 species contest 2004[/#000000][/url]
Dave
[red][font "Times New Roman"]Your Message Board Administrator [/font][/red]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_signup"][Image: newuser.gif][/url]
[size 3]Search [Image: poweredby_FFFFFF.gif] From this site. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/searches.html"]
[#000000]Click Here[/#000000][/url][/size]
by Chiefpanfish

[cool][cool][size 1]I use this batter for just about any fish I perswade onto a hook. I wash the fillets and leave them wet. I then take a gallon size plastic bag and put in straight flour to coat the amount of fish I am doing. After they are all floured I pour the extra flour mix into the trash and use the same bag to hold the bread crumbs. My next step is to make a egg and milk dip for the fish. After dipping the fish in the egg mix I drop them into the bread crumbs and do the shake and bake thing until all are coated. While all this is going on my deep fryer is heating up to about 400 deg. Drop them in until they float and they are ready to please the pallet. I sometimes do the Emeral thing and BAMB kick them up a notch with some cajun mix added to the bread crumbs.As chef Tell would say"OOOOH it's so good".
[/size] [center][size 1][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1837;][/size]
[red][size 3]Chief [/size][/red][/center]
by DaveTclown

[size 1]Golden beer battered perch gill bass fillets [/size] [ul] [li]1 cup self rising flower or pancake mix [li]1/4 cup cornmeal [li]dash of salt [li]dash of red pepper (cyanne) no more than a shake or two [li]dash of garlic [li]dash of onion powder [li]beer[/li][/ul]

mix all ingrediants in to a bowl add enough beer to your disired thickness. this recipie can be doubled and tripled and you can add ingrediants porportionly if it looks like you will run out.

in your deap fryer or skillet lay in a few peices at a time cook till golden in color.

you can cook up a bunch of fish and freeze them for later use. to prepaired frozen fillets just place on a foil covered cookie sheet in oven or toster oven for 15-20 minutes at 350* degrees. they will be as fresh and taistie as when they came out of the fryer.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=890;]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=120787;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;"][#000000]16 species contest 2004[/#000000][/url]
Dave
[red][font "Times New Roman"]Your Message Board Administrator [/font][/red]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_signup"][Image: newuser.gif][/url]
[size 3]Search [Image: poweredby_FFFFFF.gif] From this site. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/searches.html"]
[#000000]Click Here[/#000000][/url][/size]
[cool]back to the top[cool]
[signature]
[size 2]FISH AND FRITTERS

Got this recipe from my sister, not sure where she found it, or if you already have it, but it is by far the best recipe for fried fish I have ever tried. The Fritters (hush puppies) turn out excellent, and have never had better. The thing about this recipe is nothing is wasted, the dry ingredients can be mixed at home and can be enjoyed easily at the lake.
[size 2]
2 cups Flour
2 cups Corn Meal
2 teaspoons Onion Powder
1 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
3 Pounds of Fish

Cut fillets into peices, mix dry ingredients, coat fish with meal, and fry. With remaining ingredients add.

1 Cup Flour
optional Jalapenos chopped (fresh or pickled)
optional Green Onion chopped
2 Eggs
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Can of Cream Corn

Mix thoroughly, drop into hot grease with teaspoon...[/size][/size]
[signature]
[cool]
[signature]
This is more a breading recipe then batter but it is simple and delicious. My favorite fish stick recipe for sturgeon and rock bass......

Flour
Egg
Potato buds

Its that simple and in that order then fryer up yummy. IVe never tried it with other fish but bet it would be as good with halibut and other fish as well.
[signature]
Oh yeah[Image: yell.gif] yum
[signature]