Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LINCOLN BEACH ICECAPADES
Lincoln beach is only 10 miles from my home and I was in need of an escape from my work on the computer so I headed down to see if the ice had covered the lake and if anyone was fishing.

Arriving I was amazed to see at least a dozen trucks parked near the warm springs and dozens of fisherman both on the ice fishing and others casting into the warm open water of the springs. It was absolutely incredible. In over 60 years of fishing the lake I have never seen anything so cool going on..

All of these people in such a tight space, all catching white bass and all appeared to be having fun regardless of their techniques and their very close proximity to each other. It was something!

In the heart of this circus of fisherman there was a flock of pelicans who would not be deterred from joining in. They swan around in the warm water springs feasting on the bounty. everyone and everything were taking fish.

I counted 15 trucks and there were at least 25 people there. The air was filled with the sing song music of the Asians banter as well as phrases of Spanish. The music of this diverse community that fish the lake. I was loving it.

I have no idea how this bounty of fish being removed from the lake will effect the white bass population. Some were fishing for food, some for bait to use later and some were catching and releasing. The thing that was obvious that all were enjoying the day in spite of the 20 degree temp. Literally 100's and 100's of fish were being caught and I was told that there were more anglers there yesterday and the fishing was even better. Hard to believe. It was a real circus and one I'm glad to have seen. Quite the afternoon.

[url "http://www.handinhandoutdoors.org"]http://www.handinhandoutdoors.org[/url]
[signature]
Looks like they did well. Thanks for the pics
[signature]
I've been wondering how things were going on the south end of the lake, thanks for the post! hopefully me and the fam will be heading down there soon!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Sounds and looks like all were enjoying themselves for sure.
[signature]
Looks like I have been a member since 2009 and have not replied or posted one time.
I have been fishing Lincoln Beach quite often since October and I am amazed at how many White Bass have been taken out of the lake in the last 2 months. Literally more than 1000 fish removed most Saturdays. Since the Lake has iced over it is extra cool. Like pezvela said it is something
[signature]
How thick is the ice down there?
[signature]
Sunday it was 4-5"
[signature]
Loved the pictures of the pellys. If anyone ever doubts that God has a sense of humor, all they gotta do is look at a pelican. At the same time, there's little that's more beautiful than watching them in flight and landing.
[signature]
I have a lifetime of good memories of pelicans, perhaps because I associate them with fish. In Mexico when we would return to port they would trail behind the boat where we would feed them any remaining live bait aboard. Occasionally, one would land on the transom expecting to be hand fed. You had to be careful not to get your fingers in their maws. They bite hard!

In the vastness of the open ocean, we would search for birds feeding on boiling baits that the game fish would ball up. Pelicans would normally be part of the mix, dropping from the air like white feathered bombs into the chaos of the boiling sea. Hundreds of birds would join the tuna and other game fish in an absolute feeding frenzy. It was an extraordinary fishing opportunity and one I witnessed on a smaller scale at Lincoln beach last week with gulls diving on the white bass.
It surprised me to see the feeding birds, but I was delighted as well, knowing the birds presence meant big schools of fish. The pelicans brought a Smile to my face remembering back to great fishing trips I've had in my long life and the birds that were a part of it all.

[url "http://handinhandoutdoors.org"]http://handinhandoutdoors.org[/url]
[signature]
That's awesome. I love the spirit of your post, Pez.
[signature]