Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for the bass men
[cool][font "Times New Roman"][#804000][size 2]Thought that I would add bass fishing to the line up of fish to hunt. For years I have been using only spinning reels [duh - not on fly pole]. In fact my bait-casting reel is so old that it still has black woven line on its reel. Now I am in the market for a new bait-casting reel. I couldn’t believe how far the technology has been advanced [yes I can] in the past few decades or since last week. My question is: What would be you’re or is your preference in style of reel. Low profile or tradition round reel? Thought that the low profile Abu Garcia is a neat looking reel. If you have any suggestions or thoughts on this subject please feel free to jump in [or wade] with both feet.[/size][/#804000][/font]
[signature]
Hey Dryrod, If you are just going to start I would suggest a standard reel that is capable of 6 to 12lb line on it. It will be easier to start with and doesn't requite much practice. Shimano, Daiwa, Pflueger, and Mitchel are just a few of the better brands. There are more brands out there and it would mostly be a preference issue of name brands. I am not saying that these are the only good brands but they are brands that I have and use almost daily.

On the other hand, if you prefer to use a baitcaster you can pick from some of the names above or go with an Okuna. Those will take some time to get used to but in the long run you will be happy with your choice. Once again, pick something that will hold the desired size line that you will be using.
[signature]
You rang??[Wink]

When I was cleaning out my grandpa's basement, I found one of those old baitcasting reel with the black woven line on it.(not saying your old lol) And know what? I'm gonna give it a try this year! I wanna get the whole experiance.
I've always used the low-profile baitcasting reels. It fits my hand better and feels 'right'. I cant wait to get my hands on the new Quantum Energy PT low-profile baitcasting reel! As soon as I get enough money, that puppies gonna be mine![cool]
[signature]
Those Quantum are sweeeeeeeeeeet. I have one of those on my Christmas wish list for this year. Santa just doesn't realize that I hold the pole with my right and reel with my left. He brought me one that was backwards.
[signature]
[cool][#804000][size 1]Quantum Energy PT l,

This is also a neat looking rigs. What is the price range on this dude? Say TubeN2 my getting use to any system is no problem. Dating myself now I have used all kinds of rod & reels of years gone by particularily those that left one with thumb burns. Consequently a new set up shouldn't pose a problem.
[/size][/#804000][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2452;]
[signature]
Dryrod,

A few years ago, I got a good deal on a Lew's low-profile bait casting reel. I love it!! It is soooooooo smooth! I would certainly look into it, if I were you.

I do a lot of crappie fishing these days and don't use my Lew's much anymore, but if I were going shopping I would look for a Lew's I promise you that.

Bass Wishes,
[signature]
That is a nice set up. I would expect to get one like that for around $225-$250. I would imagine it would be just around $200 or so at Cabelas.

I like the look of that one, but I cast with my right hand and reel with my left. I end up paying just a little bit more for the left hand retreival baitcaster reels.
[signature]
I sugest you take that critter in to an open feild befor takeing it on the water. I used them as a kid and have lost the nack of casting them. they are mucho different than that of the handling of the spin cast reel.

I am getting out about 15 yards now, I have been practicing, (not as often as I should, I get discuraged a bit) but the guy who use them every day can do it like hookin a bass.

make sure you pick one up that hasnt been handled to much, oftern they are returned because some one buys it and cant cast it.

if you are accustome to using them, then this will serve those who have never used a bait caster befor.

any way what modle is it? (shakesphere)

if ya have a digital I would like to see a picture.
[signature]
Hey Dryrod, If your just starting out and dont want to spend very much, I would reccomend this rod/reel combo. Its a BPS MegaCast low-profile baitcasting combo. I own one of these and I love it. Heck, for $40 its a steal!

[url "http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44480&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse"]http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44480&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse[/url]
[signature]
Hey Dave, I got it out and it says- Shakespeare True Blue 1956. Model FE. Its in great condition. Sorry I dont have a digital camera. But heres some pictures that I found if you want to know what it looks like. (mine has the black color line though) I havent tried casting it yet but I suppose I will have to practice.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2454;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2455;]
[signature]
[cool][#804000][size 2]Hey there Bassmaster-ND,[/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2]Here is another Shakespeare TBLW # 1956. This was my dad's reel which he gave me [my first reel] when he bought a new one. I still have it in my box of old tackle.[/size][/#804000]

[size 2][#804000]It is a Shakespeare True Blue Level Winding # 1956 - Model "HF" -Production dates - 10/8/35 -- 2/1/36.
[/#804000][/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2457;]
[signature]
[cool][#804000][size 1]Hey Bassmaster,[/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 1]Here is some data on Shakespeare reels. Your reel was made in 1956. See chart.[/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 1]How old is my Shakespeare reel? [/size][/#804000] [ul] [li][#804000][size 1]From about 1929 to 1977, all Shakespeare reels carried a two letter dating code. The main purpose of the letters was to indicate each time a change was made to a reel. For instance in 1935 the Stainless Super reel, model number 1975 was manufactured. However, the next year the reel required a slight modification. Two letters were added to alert the engineers to a change. These letters became the dating code. [/size][/#804000]

[li][#804000][size 1]Date codes are not part of the model number and will not appear in old catalogs. [/size][/#804000]

[li][#804000][size 1]To determine the age of your reel, first find the two letters. They are usually on the reel foot or near the model number or name. [/size][/#804000]

[li][#804000][size 1]Compare the two letters to the numbers and letters on the chart below. Example: Reel model number 1744FM. Match the letter F with the number 5 and the letter M with the number nine. This means this reel was first produced in 1959. [/size][/#804000]

[font "helvetica"] [/font][size 1][font "helvetica"] [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2461;][/font][/size] [li][/li][/ul]
[signature]

Hey there Dryrod,

I prefer the round shaped Abu garcia 5600 series PLUS. It's a little heavy duty but that just means you can use it for lots more species of fish fresh and saltwater!

The thumb bar should wide. You'll have a lot more line capacity (so you can fish deeper or troll) than most low profile reels. I like using reels meant for south-paws so you try them both at the tackle shop.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey Dryrod, isnt it amazing how reels have changed? I even saw a reel that had electronics in it in one of my magazines! Now thats just crazy![crazy]
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial"][#804000][size 2]Hey Bassmaster,[/size][/#804000][/font]

[font "Arial"][#804000][size 2]Also electric driven reels. I mean how lazy can one get![/size][/#804000][/font][crazy]
[signature]
i would hang it on the wall, if its one of the type that theres no clutch, and the handle spins on every cast . . . theyre brutal - ohhh the backlashes/birdsnests . . .

sm
[signature]
Birdsnests!!!!!!! Isn't that the under statement of the year.

The very first time that I cast on of those, I had a nest big enough for a flock of eagles to roost in. I think it took about day and a half to get it all fixed up.

You really need to develope the knack for one of those. I do enough fresh and saltwater and am used to all types of reels.

I do enjoy watching some greenhorn grab ahold of a Penn Jigmaster and cast it with all of his heart without the thumb in proper position.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzfffffffffffpppppppphhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttt. SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Here's the reel that I was talking about.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2501;]

This reel uses a digital cast control system which achieves optimal brake performance by relaying reel conditions back to the processor at the speed of 1/1000 sec. The computer can then make minute adjustments allowing the spool to have higher initial speeds then any conventional brake system, and helps boost overall casting distance. THE COST OF ONE OF THESE BABIES: $499.99!
I dont know about you, but I would never shell out $500s for a reel.
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Arial"][#804000][size 2]Hey Bassmaster,[/size][/#804000][/font]

[font "Arial"][#804000][size 2]That is some good looking reel. But you are right about the price. Only celbs & sports dudes can afford that type of bread on a reel. Can you imagine the pain if your rod & reel like that went to visit Davie's locker. Ouch!! I like that new Shimano Curado 100B. that I saw today. [/size][/#804000][/font]
[signature]
that looks like a piece of the mars rover . .

whats that got 512 K of memory!

[cool]

sm
[signature]