Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late-May near Logan
I'll be making a week-long trip to Logan for work the last week in May and I'll have an itch to wet some flies. I'm not familiar with the area and was excited to see how good the fishing was on the Logan River until I saw that it's virtually un-fishable at that time of year. Any suggestions for a non-resident just looking for a C&R spot? Fish size isn't a big concern, just looking for some place to pass the time in the evenings.

Thanks!!
[signature]
Depending on what time in May you will be in Cache Valley (Logan), you should take a drive up Blacksmith Fork Canyon and fish that little river. I doubt the Salmon Flies will be out by then, but I have seen crazier things happen. That river has some good Cutthroat and Browns to be had, and is a fun little river to wade fish. Also, stop in a Roundrocks Fishing shop and see what current information they can give you when you get to town. They are good people and always willing to help out a fellow fly fisherman. Also, I wouldn't say the Logan is unfishable, but you just need to know where to go. Ask them when you stop in the shop.
[signature]
Well there are a lot of great places to go in or near Logan. It's always different around the Month of May because of runoff. It's hard to time that.... but for the most part you should still be able to fish it with a fly. The Logan and Blacksmith Fork rivers are pretty similar, however the Blacksmith is more of a slower moving river in the canyon compared to the Logan. Either place you're not likely to run into a trophy haha, but there are many pan sized cutthroat, browns, and some rainbows to be had. Try up higher for the cutts. If the water is high start chucking red san juans and maybe a prince or copper john. It also might be worth the trip to drive up to the Preston area and fish the Oneida Narrows which is on the Bear River. If it's clear enough to fish the surface than your standard freestone flies should do well.
[signature]
I second the Oneida Narrows idea. Usually the irrigation flows haven't kicked in just yet and there are tons of rainbows in there as well as a few browns and cutts. You also have the option of throwing some larger offerings for smallmouth which are plentiful in there.

Speaking of bass, that's what I chase in May. There are a bunch of small reservoirs around Preston Idaho that have largemouth and bluegill as well as some rainbows, perch and crappie depending on where you are. The water is usually high in the spring and the bass and gills are up in the flooded willows and cottonwoods. It can be some really fun fishing.
[signature]
Ive had some great fishing during spring run-off. Fish the slack water on the edges. Fish don't want to be out in that crap either. But I second the Blacksmiths fork also.

Good Luck,

T.B.
[signature]
I went to school at Utah state and I love the Logan area. I agree with everything that's been said in response to your question. The only tid but I would add is that in during spring runoff I'd usually focus my efforts on fishing the plethora of still water bodies surrounding the area. In fact the largest rainbow trout I have ever caught to this day, i landed on such a body of water just outside of Preston.
[signature]
When do the ice off the reservoirs around Preston melt? I do a lot of bass fishing and am interested in a couple more places to go from time to time. Thanks.
[signature]
It really depends on the year. Last winter was very mild and I was catching some very nice prespawn bass in March. Other years I don't start getting into them until early May. This year I'm thinking they should be on in April. The forecast is looking pretty good for ice off within the next month I would think.
[signature]