Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forget Waldo...... Where's Walter?
I made the journey all the way across the lake at Deer Creek from the island state park. I am guessing about 20 minute hike. Ice was plenty thick with a 3 inch layer of frozen slush on top of 10 inches of good ice. I have searched shallow and deep and still can't find a Walter. I used a topo map for spots that should hold walleyes. It seems like a lost cause. I did catch a couple of small bows, two decent browns, and a football sized cousin of Walter. Maybe I need some help from someone who has located Walter through the ice.
[signature]
For the average fisherman, including myself, walleye are not easy to come by in the best of conditions in the Winter while ice fishing. If you are catching perch you are in the right area, about all I can suggest is to be persistent and you will catch one, sooner or later but IMO you have better odds of catching an eye at Starvation while ice fishing than at DC. Glad to see your long haul to the other side wasn't in vain. How long was that perch?
[signature]
Perch was just shy of 12 inches and I didnt get the girth, but it was pretty girthy. Winter and fall are two seasons that seem to be the hardest to catch walleye. I wont give up on the search for an iced walleye.
[signature]
[quote Freakyfisherman]I made the journey all the way across the lake at Deer Creek from the island state park. I am guessing about 20 minute hike. Ice was plenty thick with a 3 inch layer of frozen slush on top of 10 inches of good ice. I have searched shallow and deep and still can't find a Walter. I used a topo map for spots that should hold walleyes. It seems like a lost cause. I did catch a couple of small bows, two decent browns, and a football sized cousin of Walter. Maybe I need some help from someone who has located Walter through the ice.[/quote]

It sounds to me like the walleye fishing at DC is probably at an all time low... you might be better off fishing another lake that has them...

But my one piece of advice that might turn the tides for you... is to try fishing at night and don't be afraid to fish in water less than 10ft deep. I am no expert when it comes to ice fishing for walleyes... but I've caught them at night probably 10:1 compared to day fishing. They developed those big eyes of theirs, as well as the super sensitive lateral line for a reason... it gives them an advantage at night.
[signature]