Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frio River
Headed down to the Frio River this next weekend from out of state. I wanted to see if anyone has some suggestions on what works well and what might be found in the river. Appreciate the help.
[signature]
Hey Brock, did you ever make it down to the Frio? If so, how did you do?
[signature]
I did. Ended up with quite a few small (7"-10") largemouth bass and as many sunfish as you have time to catch. Majority were caught on fly rod. It was crystal clear and perfect temperature. Good trip for sure.
[signature]
Nice, not bad for a first trip there. What were you using for the bass?
[signature]
Caught a couple on a popper early, but a majority on a black woolly bugger. They are spooked easily with the clarity of the water so getting mid-river helped a lot more than standing shallow. Plus it is all private property along the river so being in the river is a necessity.
[signature]
That makes sense, were you in a boat or using waders?
[signature]
This was in mid April so the river was comfortably warm. Did quite a bit of wading in just shorts and keeps. I did pull out my kayak for a bit of the trip. I only fished about a three mile stretch over the few days.
[signature]
Wow, you took your kayak all the way to Texas?
[signature]
I guess my is a relative term. My parents are living there as camp hosts along the Frio River. Their place rents out kayaks so that is what I took out. It was a nice bonus to have down there.
[signature]
Got ya, that makes it nice having family there. By the way, how big is the river there?
[signature]
The widest I found was maybe 20 feet and 10 feet deep. But a majority is much shallower. Waist to chest deep, but I am 6'4". There are roadways that run through it so it backs up there and is more of a small pond. It is spring fed so very clear. Really good time through.
[signature]
The Frio River is one of my favorite freshwater rivers to fish in Texas.

I fish with a variety of styles there but when fly fishing I like to use some of the bigger clousers and streamers for the LMB.

During the cooler times of the year, they have some nice Rainbows in there.

In the past I have caught Blue Cats, Channel Cats, Flatheads and even Bull Cats but those require stink bait which doesn't go with fly fishing. lol

There are plenty of Sunfish in there including Blue Gills, Long Ear, Warmouth and even Yellow Perch. Those work well when you match the hatch or even go with the old faithful Renegade. [cool]
[signature]