Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me identify this outboard part?!?
I recently inherited a 1987 Sylvan Sea Monster from my grandma. The boat has been sitting in her garage for the last 20 years since my grandpa died. It has a 50 HP Mercury Outboard Motor that I went through and got running. While cleaning out the garage I found something that looks like it goes to this motor, but I am not sure what it is. It is labeled "Mercury Marine," so I am pretty sure it has something to do with this motor. (See pictures attached)

My guess is that it may be used to winterize the motor somehow? Any help would be appreciated!
[signature]
That looks like a spare reservoir for the power trim and tilt features on your boat.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for your response! I checked my owner's manual (found nothing) and did some additional searching. I don't have power trim/tilt on my unit. Turns out it is an old AutoBlend unit for the oil in my two stroke. Apparently these were notorious for failing and causing motors to seize. Everything I read said to just throw it away and mix the oil myself. Thanks again for taking a shot at my question. You were the only one to respond. I appreciate the help!
[signature]
Thanks for getting back. I do have a similar unit on my boat that is for the trim/ tilt. I guess some of the older motors had the mixer on them.

I do concur that self mixing is better. You are able to control the quality of the mix that way. [cool]
[signature]
Oil injection unit. Somebody took it off and decided to just pre-mix the fuel. They are nice to have on, just add oil and go. Like you said, some do fail. If you don't see or smell oil burning while running you know it has failed.
[signature]