Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorial Day Slam on Yankee
Went camping with the family over Memorial Weekend (I know I'm a little late on this report) to Yankee. I was able to sneak out on Memorial Day on the pontoon and drown some flies in the evening. Ended up catching the Yankee slam with Brookies, Cutts, and Bows! Beautiful evening, and I was pleasantly surprised with the number of nice brookies I was catching...up to 16" and very healthy. Caught all my fish on black mohairs and bh hares ears on intermediate line.
[inline IMG_20160530_154712.jpg]
[signature]
Yankee has always been a sleeper for brook trout. I remember one year catching them up to about 19 inches...early spring has always been a good time to catch them as they get tougher to find throughout the summer. It is good to hear that you caught some as late as Memorial Weekend. It always seemed like the shoreline from the dam up to the inlet away from the road was best for brook trout. I would pound that shoreline in my tube and catch more brookies than rainbows (before the cutts). I haven't fished Yankee, though, in a number of years. Growing up in Cedar City, though, I spent a lot of time fishing Yankee, Paragonah, Panguitch, Navajo, and Kolob.

Which reminds me...and on a different note, I just received a very reliable report from a taxidermist in Cedar that a 14 pound rainbow/cutt hybrid was caught. The taxidermist is mounting the fish. That reminds me of the 12 pound rainbow that was caught from Yankee when I was a kid...
[signature]