Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How I Set-Up My Surf Casting Leader!
The 3-Way Swivel Illustrated is Rated For 350lbs!

I've been asked on many occasions do i use my shoreline light dunking rigs for targeting larger fish? Answer is no, i 've modified my light dunking rig to handle much larger fish using large spinners & small conventional/multiplier reels.
(I wouldn't recommend this style for either heavy bait casting and/or slide baiting. Those types of angling requires different gear from what you see here and the techniques employed are very different).
The biggest change i made was in using a modified palomar knot for tying braid.Braid under pressure is stronger then monofilament. But knots can slip easier when wet though braid is stronger then mono. You'll need the extra strength as braid doesn't stretch during a strike but mono will. You can cast further using braid, thinner line means less air resistance & you can spool more line on the spool. But braid can unravel/cut easier on reef that'll greatly weaken the tensile strength while mono will be less rub resistance. Lots of pros & cons. Really depends on the underwater topography of the areas you fish. Many anglers will bring a back-up spool which is much cheaper then 2 reels with different lines.
The biggest change i made was in using a modified palomar knot for tying braid.Braid under pressure is stronger then monofilament. But knots can slip easier when wet though braid is stronger then mono. You'll need the extra strength as braid doesn't stretch during a strike but mono will. You can cast further using braid, thinner line means less air resistance & you can spool more line on the spool. But braid can unravel/cut easier on reef that'll greatly weaken the tensile strength while mono will be less rub resistance. Lots of pros & cons. Really depends on the underwater topography of the areas you fish. Many anglers will bring a back-up spool which is much cheaper then 2 reels with different lines.
Also i use "squid line" for my lead line. I match-up 30lb mainline to 30lb squid line. This way if the lead is hung-up i can still break it by pulling instead of bankrupting my whole rig. Also i've found 30lb squid line works well with 40#/50# braid as well.
For the Surf rig to properly handle large strikes i stopped using the circular 3-way swivels. They're ok for smaller game but for fish in the 20-50+ category the strike can "pop" the back studs off the inner retainer ring (i now use the double 4/0 & 3/0 black swivels in a 3-way configuration). Held a 6ft Hammerhead the other week while a 4ft Hammerhead "popped" the stud of the weaker 3-way swivel.
I've also recently introduced my bait bag system that really works. Also saves money on buying bait & you never have to keep checking your lines. If you still want to put out baits i also showed you how to use heavy duty dental floss to tie your baits to the hook. Works well with squid, crab, shrimp & fish.
So this is my system of shoreline surf casting. Depending on the species you target & the type of areas you fish you'll need to make changes to match-up to your areas. If you find that any of my ideas here can help your game then i'm really happy i took the time to make this video. I don't expect anglers to blindly follow my lead, but if any information can help anyone out, even in the smallest detail, then it was worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OApM6Ayi2zQ
[signature]