Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Quantum Cabo 80 - Unboxed & Spooled!
This is the NEW Quantum Cabo 80 spinning reel. A newer version of the 2013 Cabo 80 PTsE.

Some improvements have been made. The seems are uniform & there's 3 shims rather then 1 for the spool's line placements since Alan Hawk first reviewed the original model. It's unknown if there's really ceramic bearings in the unit now but we must presume there is. There's no generic instruction manual for all Cabo models that were included with the original model.

The main reason i got this unit was because it's rated for 55lb MAX DRAG. This even amazed Alan Hawk when he did his review on the original model linking it's boast with the Shimano Stella. This was achieved by placing 5 carbon washers in the drag stack with 1 extra large sized washer added to the spool.

Besides the touted Magnum CSC Drag System the Ceramic Drags incorporates ceramic bearings that don't expand because they can't heat-up when friction is applied. This being the case i don't recommend heavily cinching down the drag during a big battle as you could crack those ceramic bearings (i recommend "thumbing" the spool to slow the action down).

My biggest disappointment is the knob. As with the original it's permanently affixed to the handle. You could try to drill it off but looks like a tedious job. The supplied handle does feel good in your hand & is large enough to grip hard in a battle.

The problems with the original's "wobbling" anti-reverse seems to have disappeared with this newer model. Thank God.

The size of the Cabo 80 is roughly akin to the Shimano 8000 sized spinning reels. Alan Hawk's review has the drag system of the Cabo 80 aligned only to the Shimano Stellas (also the Daiwa Saltiga 6500 has a +50# max drag as well, thx Wallace Murray). Except this unit retails just under $230. Here are the stats-

QUANTUM CSP80PTsE CABO SPINNING REEL
Gear Ratio:4.9:1
Line Capacity:330yd 20lb mono/380yd 65lb braid
Inches per Turn:41
Max Drag:55lbs
Bearings:7+1
Weight:25oz

I took this unit to have spooled 80lb J-Braid on. Why? My thinking is if i can muscle the fish in i don't need 100's of yards of expensive lower-rated braid to play the fish out. Plus casting braid i can get more distance then monofilament since braid is thinner with less air resistance. I chose the colored J-Braid because each colored area represents 10m (33ft) so i can mentally see my retrieval rate.

This is what i chose for the way i fish, you can use whatever you need to match your style of fishing & to the types of areas you fish & the species you target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34HKaVSEEg
[signature]