Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Distance Shrimp Casting Using Breakaway Cannons!
I found a way to shore cast/bait cast from shore using a spinner rig rather then a conventional rig by combining several methods. So i went to my testing grounds at Chocolate Beach in Middle Loch, Pearl Harbor on Oahu, Hawaii to test this out.

This was based off a 3-point system that works individually until combined.

1) The Bait Delivery Problem- Most baits are to soft to be thrown with that much force needed for great distances without being torn off the hook. So my method of using bait bags were key in holding the bait to the hook.

2) The Reel Needed- After researching online & just having purchased my 3rd unit the Shimano Ultegra Spinners are proven distance casters. The line laying technology has proven itself to Carp anglers in Europe and myself from months of field testing. I'm in the process of changing all my dunking (shore-casting) & whipping (light-casting) reels to Ultegras. On all my models i use Jerry Brown braid direct. The thinner diameter has less air resistance which gives me added casting distances.

3) The Breakaway Cannons- This simple mechanism provides 2 much needed functions. First you won't need to use your index finger for casting (no torn skin anymore). Secondly i feel it extends my casting range up to 30% for the way i cast my rigs. From my very 1st cast i saw the extended range. On my 5th cast i was comfortable enough to power cast my baits with amazing range that'll equal conventional casting.

I decided to combine all 3 of these aspects. Also i use thin braid that cast farther then monofilament lines. I went to an area that i know well. The areas i hit using these new improvements were far longer then on previous visits. Unfortunately i ended up feeding sharks (or possibly just 1) and couldn't get a solid hook-up.

My buddy that works there Junior visited me while i was testing these rigs. He said no action there for weeks. Earlier there were mullet breaking the surface and no action. When the mullets took off that's when the shark(s) arrived. I'll be ordering more then the 2 Cannons & hopefully you'll be seeing more of them. Might have to retire my neoprene Gamagatsu finger glove now. Lol.

Good luck to those that want to try what i've outlined. Just adding Cannons to your existing spinner rigs will start the ball rolling. "Tight Lines from Scuba Chris"

Make Longer Casts From Shore!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFABw0rK1H4
[signature]