Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Drawing Results 2024
Congrats on the Moose tag. If it's on the Cache unit I'll keep and eye out for ya.
(05-22-2024, 10:35 PM)BagABigOne Wrote: Congrats on the Moose tag. If it's on the Cache unit I'll keep and eye out for ya.

I wish it was on the Cache, but it is on Durst Mountain a CWMU by Morgan... just north of the town... thanks for the offer though... I wish I could find a way to do some scouting on the ranch that they won't let us on until the hunt opens...But I guess that's how they keep the bigger animals for their tags... Don't blame them, but hope I get lucky and stumble onto the big one... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(05-23-2024, 02:52 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(05-22-2024, 10:35 PM)BagABigOne Wrote: Congrats on the Moose tag. If it's on the Cache unit I'll keep and eye out for ya.

I wish it was on the Cache, but it is on Durst Mountain a CWMU by Morgan... just north of the town... thanks for the offer though... I wish I could find a way to do some scouting on the ranch that they won't let us on until the hunt opens...But I guess that's how they keep the bigger animals for their tags... Don't blame them, but hope I get lucky and stumble onto the big one... Later J
By the CWMU rules, the operator of the CWMU must allow you to hunt the same places the paying hunters are allowed to hunt.
(05-23-2024, 04:14 AM)MrShane Wrote:
(05-23-2024, 02:52 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:

By the CWMU rules, the operator of the CWMU must allow you to hunt the same places the paying hunters are allowed to hunt.

That's good news, just hope it doesn't take me too long to decide where to find them on this area... J
Indeed, for most, the issue with CWMUs is not so much where you are allowed to hunt, it's that you are not allowed on before the hunt to scout. If there is an option for a guide, might be worth it.
(05-23-2024, 10:21 PM)smokepoles Wrote: Indeed, for most, the issue with CWMUs is not so much where you are allowed to hunt, it's that you are not allowed on before the hunt to scout.  If there is an option for a guide, might be worth it.

No guide options available for this unit, but I somewhat wonder if a guide would show you the bulls the ranch wants culled... So probably okay to be our own guides, I think it will be a lot of fun, I'll just have to hunt with some urgency and hope I don't wear out too fast... I do have the advantage that my brother had a moose tag on that unit a while back and he took me with him, so I do know a little bit about the area from that hunt... We found his bull the first day of the hunt, but it was in the afternoon after a lot of scouting the big deep canyons to the south and east side (kind of where they told us to look for a moose)... Seen some beautiful bull elk and a really nice buck in the morning hunts, but no moose... My brother had to keep reminding me we were looking for moose, since I was really having fun watching all the other game.. It's a fun area, but also big country that I'll need to be in shape to hunt... Giving up my Pepsi until after the hunt, hope that will help me drop some weight and get my wind back.... Used to help when I trained for wrestling in school... Anyway thanks for the thoughts, this will be fun to have a real hunt again, it's been too long since I've had one that I was excited about.... Only problem is I'm spending too much money getting geared up to go... guess that's part of the fun though.... Later Jeff
....just got back from Africa today. First time I've ever done that. Went with my brother, a friend, and our wives for 18 days. We each had a list of a few animals that we were going to shoot...but found out we could modify our list "on the fly". We each ended up shooting a dozen animals.
While slightly more expensive than hunting in Utah, getting tags there is SUPER easy. No application, no points, just money. Wish I could afford to do that every year and I'd likely never hunt in Utah again.

By the way, I did draw my Dedicated Hunter Tag for Central Utah. I had 3 regular points and DID NOT draw the regular muzzleloader tag.
Bought points for Limited Entry Deer and Moose. I had 4 points for dedicated hunter.
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.