Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua??
(01-12-2023, 02:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 09:07 PM)Moki51 Wrote: Went to Mantua Sunday 1/8/23 straight off the East side parking lot. Ice conditions were good 8-10" thick. Some spots were a little wet and as you walked through them it got a bit of slush. We fished from 1045 till 1430. Saw fish on graph come off the bottom (12' depth) but no bites. Started fishing off bottom about 1 1/2 foot. Started catching planter trout (8-12") we caught 11 trout between us. Put them all back. Saw a line of ice huts over by the stream inlet area. Will try that next time. Anyone fished over on that side?

Thanks for the report and welcome to the site. They must have planted a lot of those little planters last Fall in there because others are reporting that same bow catching numbers.  That area over toward the stream inlet area has been good for pan fish is the past, it's not as deep there but lots of underwater plants there. Be careful where you park there and watch the signs, they have given out a lot of tickets there in the past, for parking in the wrong area.
Thanks wiperhunter2 for the parking info. I plan to fish Mantua again maybe this weekend as conditions look better. Got some new tungsten jigs to try.
Drove past Mantua today looked like 5-6 people over around the open water in the SE corner... Eyes weren't good enough from the road to tell if they were catching anything... Sounds like the slush has frozen on most ponds so I suspect you can fish it okay tomorrow morning without having to fight the slush monster, but better take ice cleats or something to keep you from slipping and falling... Good luck.. J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!