Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 WH2's garden
Well I thought I'd take some, end out the season, pics from my garden and ask the question, do any of of you get zucchini leaves as big as the ones in my pic below?

[Image: bigzucchinileaf.jpg]

[Image: cumbers-cantilope.jpg]

[Image: endofseasonyellowsquash.jpg]

[Image: Oct5th-zucchini-greenbeans.jpg]

Zucchini and green beans are still doing ok but the rest of the garden is about done for this year.
(10-06-2023, 02:58 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Well I thought I'd take some, end out the season, pics from my garden and ask the question, do any of of you get zucchini leaves as big as the ones in my pic below?

[Image: bigzucchinileaf.jpg]

[Image: cumbers-cantilope.jpg]

[Image: endofseasonyellowsquash.jpg]

[Image: Oct5th-zucchini-greenbeans.jpg]

Zucchini and green beans are still doing ok but the rest of the garden is about done for this year.

we did much of our outside the greenhouse harvesting a couple weeks ago. Greenhouse so far has avoided getting any frosts so far. We've had several good frosts already. 

Made a salad - ish dish of spiral cut zucchini, add in diced tomatoes, onion, and a little diced salami. Toss together with a little Italian dressing and some grated parmesan. iI made for a nice lunch.
(10-08-2023, 01:49 AM)jjannie Wrote: we did much of our outside the greenhouse harvesting a couple weeks ago. Greenhouse so far has avoided getting any frosts so far. We've had several good frosts already. 

Made a salad - ish dish of spiral cut zucchini, add in diced tomatoes, onion, and a little diced salami. Toss together with a little Italian dressing and some grated parmesan. iI made for a nice lunch.

As cold as it got down here, I had a feeling you two had frost at your place, Did you get any grapes this year?
That sounds like a great salad but are you eating the zucchini raw, can't say I ever tried that before.
Well this is my end of the season post, pulled up everything after I took this pic. 

[Image: endofseasongardenpics.jpg]

Now I need to dig up my beds and put leaves in them to decompose during the Winter.
(10-31-2023, 05:22 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Well this is my end of the season post, pulled up everything after I took this pic. 

[Image: endofseasongardenpics.jpg]

Now I need to dig up my beds and put leaves in them to decompose during the Winter.

We too have been collecting dead garden stuff for about 2 weeks now. Just doing a little at time so we don't overload our dumpster. Even the greenhouse has been hit by too cold of temps for several nights now - mid to upper teens. So, it too can get cleaned out, gradually. We did start seeds inside in our grow towers for winter harvesting.
(10-31-2023, 07:46 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(10-31-2023, 05:22 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Well this is my end of the season post, pulled up everything after I took this pic. 

We too have been collecting dead garden stuff for about 2 weeks now. Just doing a little at time so we don't overload our dumpster. Even the greenhouse has been hit by too cold of temps for several nights now - mid to upper teens. So, it too can get cleaned out, gradually. We did start seeds inside in our grow towers for winter harvesting.
We always just pile our dead garden stuff up and let it decompose during the Winter. Some day I guess I should use that stuff but I haven't yet
but it does keep the weeds down and provide some fertilizer for part of my grape vines. Maybe I already ask you this but did you grape vine do any good this year?
(10-31-2023, 08:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

We always just pile our dead garden stuff up and let it decompose during the Winter. Some day I guess I should use that stuff but I haven't yet
but it does keep the weeds down and provide some fertilizer for part of my grape vines. Maybe I already ask you this but did you grape vine do any good this year?
Not much of anything on the grapes - yours or the one we bought to add to yours. They grew well, just didn't produce.
(10-31-2023, 09:27 PM)jjannie Wrote:

Not much of anything on the grapes - yours or the one we bought to add to yours. They grew well, just didn't produce.

Wish I could remember how long it took for my original green grape vine to start to producing but my guess is 4 or 5 year but it took many more years for it to vine out like I have now. Mine didn't do as good this year as last year. Last year we got over 60 lbs of grapes on the back side of our fence, this year nothing.
(10-31-2023, 10:15 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Wish I could remember how long it took for my original green grape vine to start to producing but my guess is 4 or 5 year but it took many more years for it to vine out like I have now. Mine didn't do as good this year as last year. Last year we got over 60 lbs of grapes on the back side of our fence, this year nothing.
 maybe they just worked on their root systems this year so next year we'll both get nice harvest. BTW, those bell peppers we wintered over did super. They were WAY more loaded than the original plants. So we decided to do at least 6 more this year as well. It sure gives you jump on the growing season and we need that since our season is much shorter than yours.
(11-01-2023, 09:11 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(10-31-2023, 07:46 PM)jjannie Wrote: We too have been collecting dead garden stuff for about 2 weeks now. Just doing a little at time so we don't overload our dumpster. Even the greenhouse has been hit by too cold of temps for several nights now - mid to upper teens. So, it too can get cleaned out, gradually. We did start seeds inside in our grow towers for winter harvesting.

maybe they just worked on their root systems this year so next year we'll both get nice harvest. BTW, those bell peppers we wintered over did super. They were WAY more loaded than the original plants. So we decided to do at least 6 more this year as well. It sure gives you jump on the growing season and we need that since our season is much shorter than yours.

I wish I had know this when I was growing bell peppers. Sounds like it has worked out well for you though, congrats on such a great harvest.
(11-02-2023, 01:56 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-01-2023, 09:11 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(10-31-2023, 08:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: We always just pile our dead garden stuff up and let it decompose during the Winter. Some day I guess I should use that stuff but I haven't yet

I wish I had know this when I was growing bell peppers. Sounds like it has worked out well for you though, congrats on such a great harvest.

We use the peppers in most of our stir fry meals with a cauliflower rice base. We slice them into strips and vacuum pack them, enough for each recipe, then freeze them. I've tried freeze drying them, but they don't rehydrate very nicely so I think it works out better to make nice flat, stackable, packages. 

We're still working on getting the GH cleared out and put to bed for the winter. Also I need to move some lilies bulbs. Have one that just doesn't get enough light where it is now. Also, we'll remove the front bucket from the tractor and install the snowblower, so it'll be ready when we need it. It's not a difficult job, just another thing to be done.
(11-06-2023, 06:06 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(11-02-2023, 01:56 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I wish I had know this when I was growing bell peppers. Sounds like it has worked out well for you though, congrats on such a great harvest.

We use the peppers in most of our stir fry meals with a cauliflower rice base. We slice them into strips and vacuum pack them, enough for each recipe, then freeze them. I've tried freeze drying them, but they don't rehydrate very nicely so I think it works out better to make nice flat, stackable, packages. 

We're still working on getting the GH cleared out and put to bed for the winter. Also I need to move some lilies bulbs. Have one that just doesn't get enough light where it is now. Also, we'll remove the front bucket from the tractor and install the snowblower, so it'll be ready when we need it. It's not a difficult job, just another thing to be done.
So you don't blanch the bell pepper first for freezing them? Sounds like you two are staying busy. I'll be digging up my garden next, to put leaves in them before Winter. I've been putting things away and getting things done outside before Winter hits.