Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIRIE? IS IT WORTH THE CHANCE?
(06-18-2023, 02:39 PM)duksnfish Wrote: So I decided for my first time out in over 3 years due to health concerns, I went to Glendale to fish. I knew that the pressure there would not be as bad as what I have been hearing about Ririe for my first time out. Besides, it's a whole lot easier to launch than at Ririe. I have trouble walking due to my Pulmonary Fibrosis and chronic pain syndrome in my left knee/leg.

Fishing was so so there, but felt good to get out. It was interesting that when I was loading up to come back home, couple like me in my late 60's pulled in and started getting ready to launch. While I was talking to them, they had just fished Ririe the day before. That would have been on Wednesday. I asked how it was for them and if they did any good. I wasnt surprised by the answer. They said that no Kokes to be found, a couple trout and a couple bass but all of that was overlaid by the number of wake boarders, skiers, and non-fisher type boats that just didnt have common courtesy to give those fishing some room to just enjoy the time out.

The biggest thing, which everyone is talking about is NO KOKES. Wow folks, what's going on. That seems to be the history the last couple years. Yes, some who really are set up and know what they seem to know what to do are catching a kok here and there but not many limits as we have had in the past. I'd really like to hear from Fish and Game on here as to what is happening with their gill net surveys because a creel count on catch sure wouldnt show many koks from what I've been hearing. But, not many are reporting much of anything fishing wise on here any more. Why? I really dont know but it sure would be great for informational posts to come back just like the kok fishing.

So, in closing, yes, its a bit expensive to run down to the reservoirs in Franklin County, but, not as many crowds and seem to at least be able to catch a good number for the dinner table. As for my catch of the day, yep, I got a good catch to eat, and had one great time landing (and loosing) some really nice large mouth. Largest I boated was about 17" as the keep is nothing under 15". But, I always release my bass for the next one to enjoy. I ended up with 4 total, the one over 17" and the other 3 just under 15. I lost the biggest at the boat when I bent over to try and put it into the boat. I didnt use a net on this one but sure enjoyed the fight using 4lb test and light spin gear I use for pan fish Smile. The $20 bucks to launch for out of County folks stings a bit and having to drive to Franklin to get boat inspected then backtrack to fish takes time, but, to me, it's always been worth the trip.

So, thats my story and i'm sticking to it, LOL Smile

Enjoy and be safe out there.
Thanks for the report, sounds like a fun trip, even with all the hassles, glad you were finally able to get out. How did that rebuilt floor work out for you?
(06-18-2023, 06:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-18-2023, 02:39 PM)duksnfish Wrote: So I decided for my first time out in over 3 years due to health concerns, I went to Glendale to fish. I knew that the pressure there would not be as bad as what I have been hearing about Ririe for my first time out. Besides, it's a whole lot easier to launch than at Ririe. I have trouble walking due to my Pulmonary Fibrosis and chronic pain syndrome in my left knee/leg.

Fishing was so so there, but felt good to get out. It was interesting that when I was loading up to come back home, couple like me in my late 60's pulled in and started getting ready to launch. While I was talking to them, they had just fished Ririe the day before. That would have been on Wednesday. I asked how it was for them and if they did any good. I wasnt surprised by the answer. They said that no Kokes to be found, a couple trout and a couple bass but all of that was overlaid by the number of wake boarders, skiers, and non-fisher type boats that just didnt have common courtesy to give those fishing some room to just enjoy the time out.

The biggest thing, which everyone is talking about is NO KOKES. Wow folks, what's going on. That seems to be the history the last couple years. Yes, some who really are set up and know what they seem to know what to do are catching a kok here and there but not many limits as we have had in the past. I'd really like to hear from Fish and Game on here as to what is happening with their gill net surveys because a creel count on catch sure wouldnt show many koks from what I've been hearing. But, not many are reporting much of anything fishing wise on here any more. Why? I really dont know but it sure would be great for informational posts to come back just like the kok fishing.

So, in closing, yes, its a bit expensive to run down to the reservoirs in Franklin County, but, not as many crowds and seem to at least be able to catch a good number for the dinner table. As for my catch of the day, yep, I got a good catch to eat, and had one great time landing (and loosing) some really nice large mouth. Largest I boated was about 17" as the keep is nothing under 15". But, I always release my bass for the next one to enjoy. I ended up with 4 total, the one over 17" and the other 3 just under 15. I lost the biggest at the boat when I bent over to try and put it into the boat. I didnt use a net on this one but sure enjoyed the fight using 4lb test and light spin gear I use for pan fish Smile. The $20 bucks to launch for out of County folks stings a bit and having to drive to Franklin to get boat inspected then backtrack to fish takes time, but, to me, it's always been worth the trip.

So, thats my story and i'm sticking to it, LOL Smile

Enjoy and be safe out there.
Thanks for the report, sounds like a fun trip, even with all the hassles, glad you were finally able to get out. How did that rebuilt floor work out for you?
Did I miss your reply?
(06-19-2023, 11:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Did I miss your reply?

Somewhere along the line, I responded and it was there when I posted it, but now its gone for some reason Sad

Basically, the floor worked great after almost 3 years sitting. I would suggest something like this to anyone who has a floor that needs to be repaired of removed before you go to all of the work to take the entire flooring out and then put a new floor in. Laying the new floor over the old one like I did worked great. All of the soft spots and a couple places where small holes had appeared in the original hole are holding up great. Using paint that has a roughing agent in it like I used was great. No slips or trips on the new floor at all. I even added a couple of non-skid strips on top of the new floor so if with water on the new floor I did slip, I had something for my feet to grab and not totally go down. I used Gorilla glue and adhesive to the old floor as I laid the new one down and used Gorilla glue and sealant to the joints so it would keep water from going under the new floor and rotting the old floor to the point that it took the entire floor down. 

It all seemed to work great. I think that the additional weight that I put on the boat with just overlaying the old floor was only about 40 lbs so it didnt really affect the overall weight of the boat and cause it to sit lower in the water. It all just seemed to work great. I am sure that there are others out there that have a similar issue and I'd suggest trying to overlay the old floor with marine grade plywood type wood before you go to the expense of removing the entire old floor and putting in a totally new floor. I just made sure that I painted every surface on the new flooring prior to putting it down. That way, it helped to protect the entire wood from getting water into any of the new floor. I am going to add another coat of paint to the new floor this year just as a precaution so it would seal any of the joints that may not have sealed when I first put it down. Bottom line is I am very pleased with what I did when I did it. I'd also recommend Gorilla Glue materials for adhesion to the old floor, the joints and around and over any screws that I put in to hold the new floor down. So far so good so yes, I am very pleased with the new floor.

Overall cost was probably around $75 bucks for the entire project.
Not sure why this new rebuilt site does that but it also deletes PM's that we send every once in a while, not just post, likely a glitch in the matrix Undecided .
Glad to hear it worked out so well, when I did mine, on my old boat years ago, that would have been a better idea, than removing the whole floor. I never thought about not removing the old floor plus it was a riveted hull and I need to replace a few rivets but since it was in three sections, I could have just removed one section, fixed the rivets, then put it back down. What I found was that it was hard to hit the ribs, because they were so narrow, so I ended up drilling a few extra holes trying to hit the ribs.
(06-20-2023, 01:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Not sure why this new rebuilt site does that but it also deletes PM's that we send every once in a while, not just post, likely a glitch in the matrix Undecided .
Glad to hear it worked out so well, when I did mine, on my old boat years ago, that would have been a better idea, than removing the whole floor. I never thought about not removing the old floor plus it was a riveted hull and I need to replace a few rivets but since it was in three sections, I could have just removed one section, fixed the rivets, then put it back down. What I found was that it was hard to hit the ribs, because they were so narrow, so I ended up drilling a few extra holes trying to hit the ribs.

I hear ya there wiper. My boat actually had 3 sections also but, I had done a lot of research on replacing floors in boats and most of all, I found that the majority, after they got into tearing out the old floor actually got so frustrated that they ended up scrapping the project and many of them just never finished the replacement project and junked the boat. Now I know that my boat, a 1972 Reinell is probably towards the end of it's life, but, it still has a lot of good years left in it with some TLC. I dont remember if I got the idea of just placing the new floor over the old one from someone or it was just a plain fart in a skillet, but, I just thought that the old floor, weak in places as it was, would still give some strength to the new floor so I just put the new floor over the part of the old floor that had issues. So thats what I did and for me it works. So, i hope it just gives others some more ideas on replacing the floors of their boats other than just going gang busters and tear out the old floor and then have to just scrap the project. 

Good luck everyone and keep your lines tight Smile
Unless the floors totally falling apart, that's probably the best way to fix it.
According to this article Kokanee fishing is a bit behind this year due to the weather this year, hopefully it'll turn around soon.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/06/ko...reservoir/

( Sent from East Idaho News )