Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Decent Day at Willard
(06-14-2023, 03:09 PM)catchinon Wrote: Everyone: How big are those perch you're catching? Thanks to all for sharing.

They average 12", some are bigger, we usually put back the small ones that are less than 11" but you have to realize these are secondary catch fish, we are targeting eyes.
Most of the perch being caught are taking the same crankbaits and bottom bouncer rigs being fished for walleye or wipers.  I'm guessing that if you try fishing solely for perch you will catch the other species too.  Some problems are better to have than others.

Right now the perch (and others) are hitting lures sweetened with crawler.  But as the shad increase in size and numbers you sometimes do better with  minnows or cut bait.   And when the baby shad fill the lake...and the pickin's are easy for the predators...it becomes harder to get anything to chase that silly stuff fishermen drag by them.

Right now the perch are running between 12 - 13" average.  There are a few smaller and some are caught up to 15" each year from Willard...mostly during the fall fling.
Thanks, Verdean. I'm glad you are getting out now. Is your back recovered enough so you can stay out for some time? Let me know when we can fish together.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I think I've only caught bigger on Lake Michigan and cascade. Dropped my lures a few posts back.
(06-12-2023, 08:55 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Any time - I also picked up a little tip that produced some monster perch that I will share here:

Take a f7 (smallest possible) flat fish, remove all hooks, run a 10-14" leader to a slow death hook and crawler and pull all that about 10 to 14" behind a bottom bouncer.

Doesnt pick up as many in numbers, but that set up get SLAMMED.

Can you tell me what colors work best and also what size hook you use, please?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Many years ago, maybe 25 or so, we caught monster perch at Yuba. I think they averaged about 14". I could be wrong about that, but my wife and I caught a couple of 10 perch limits that weighed 24#. We were vertical jigging them with 1/2oz Swedish Pimples and 5/8oz and 3/4oz Kast Masters. The last one, the 3/4oz Kast Masters, are 2 1/2" long.

I've never seen perch at WB this big before. They should be huge by this Fall!
Single main, no kicker. Wink